PDA

View Full Version : Indoor Sulcata Enclosure

Bugszy
12-09-2007, 11:53 PM
Hello folks!

I have about a billion questions on Sulcata Tortoise ownership and I'm hoping this is a good place o get some answers!

Through a very unfortunate circumstances (a family member up and leaving) we now have two sulcata tortoises. She also left behind a dog, kitten, and parakeet. But after six months, we're pretty confident she isn't returning so the animals were given a choice of SPCA or family members.

After doing a bit of research, I learned that the Sucatas', Tatortot and Spike, get rather large. Bordering up to 200 lbs? Yikes! But we've taken them home and they're doing so far, so good.

We've made a make-shift indoor home for them with things recommended by the pet shop down the street. They have both the aspen, smoke-free sheddings and alfalfa (?), they also have a low-leveled water bowl they that enjoy to wade in and a little 'house' enclosure they sleep in at night. We're using a heat and UV light for their heat and the cage stays pretty warm. They are really actice and they eat extremely well. Right now, so far so good.

My concern though? Right now they're only a year or two old and about the size of my hand. In June we're buying a house down in North Carolina and we've around got plans to turn the majority of our backyard into a Sulcata heaven. But my big concern is the indoor enclosure. I feel like the one they're in right now isn't big enough for them. They really love to walk! And we live in Buffalo, NY for the time being. C-c-cold! So making them an outside enclosure right now isn't an option. Recently I've just been taking them out a lot and letting them romp around the kitchen floor. But I'd like to give 'em more room all the time. Does anyone have some suggestions for good indoor, roomy enclosures?

jacqturtle
12-10-2007, 11:53 AM
What size enclosure are they now in? Or what is it?

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the new babies, just sorry about the how and why you got them.