+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leopard Geckos and Whites Tree Frogs

Leopard Geckos and Whites Tree Frogs

Not long ago, I came in here and asked you nice ppl about a whites tree frog habitat, and got some excellent, most wonderful suggestions, which only added to our already full box of ideas... So we set off and bought what was needed (we moved WTFs from a 20 to a 30) using Bed-a-beast, and such, but then we had this 20 sitting there looking so lonely.... My SO had wanted some leopard geckos, and, we went shopping to a place in Knoxville, Fins and
    Skins, where we met the owner, who breeds them. So after the initial hour long talk session, she was convinced that she wanted 2... We bought the needed supplies to set the 20g up with the geckos, and after the first week and a half of them being with us, we are proud to announce, we've got pictures!!!!

The 20g is setup with a heat lamp and a pad on one side, and water on the other. Substrate is paper towels until they get a bit older, and a peice of wood to climb on, wrapped in artificial greenery and a damp den for reclusion... it's quite simply, a nice little tank for a couple of cute critters....

There is a picture of our frogs, but unfortunately only one... thought I had more, and will be taking more. When they resided in the 20g, we were always concerned about their color, always a brownish dull color, and they showed no signs of being unhappy, or unhealthy.... but within hours of being put into the 30g, we finally saw the girl wake up and explode with color. After that, I'm convinced that they are as happy as they've ever been, and now she's starting to shed a bit, so that's a good thing!!! Sorry the froggie pic isn't better, but we'll have more....

Follow this link to see our gecks, we'll make a better page for them later....

http://www.geocities.com/trx350x_rider/geckos/

Again, thanks goes out to all the wonderful 'community members' that reside in this group.

BTW, we're also going to the Atlanta Reptile show at Gwinnet place, if anyone else is going, it'd be great to meet some fellow herp lovers, you'll know me, I"ll be the redneck wearing a honda hat or an Earnhardt hat..

re:Leopard Geckos and Whites Tree Frogs

The oils on human skin burn the flesh of amphibians. That could be why she looks mottled.

She's starting to not so much peel, but get a haze on her skin, she's done it once before, and I thought something was wrong... several days later, she'd shed.... that's funny, she'd shed...

Actually, it's a link to an index page, you should be able to click on the links, but if not, see if this works...

dcp_1654.jpg 20-Nov-2003 09:54 33k dcp_1655.jpg 20-Nov-2003 09:54 35k dcp_1657.jpg 20-Nov-2003 09:54 44k dcp_1658.jpg 20-Nov-2003 09:54 47k dcp_1659.jpg 20-Nov-2003 09:54 49k dcp_1660.jpg 20-Nov-2003 09:54 45k dcp_1661.jpg 20-Nov-2003 09:54 50k dcp_1697.jpg 20-Nov-2003 09:54 68k

I certainly can't argue, they look like brownies, didn't know a difference.... They were bought from a reputable dealer, as True Greens, and
    I can only say I don't know enough to say one way or another... The female really isn't stressed, atleast don't think so, she's very friendly and is handled every other feeding, actually, she will climb up your hand as you feed her and get up to and on your neck, that's where she wants to be....

Only time will tell....

Unfortunately I learned this lesson the hard way. I was a frog fanatic by the time I was old enough to walk myself down to the Colombia River, where I grew up. I collected frogs and lizards at riverside regularly. If I wanted to keep them my parents helped me in my venture.

Over and over I'd collect a frog, then keep it and hold it and giggle over it and cuddle it and then observe it changing color and begin the adorable behavior of trying to peel its skin off. Over and over they died. I was continually traumatized by my failed efforts with frogs and felt absolutely horrid about killing them. I even made the mistake of mixing some wild caught frogs with some african dwarf clawed frogs, which became a quick snack.

My mother gave me two frogs as a gift a few years ago. She told me she knew
    I had never forgiven myself for killing all those frogs and I was a much more educated person now, so I should take great care of them. Sooo I got online and spent weeks researching as much as I could find about... white's tree frogs. I remembered my hands obviously burning the amphibians I'd had in the past so thought to put it on my research list. I'm glad I did.

Now, if I ever need to hold my frog to move him, or to move the ones at work into deli cups for their sale, I just wash my hands very thoroughly then leave them totally soaking dripping wet while I move the frog.

Emu oil is fantastic!! I use it on psoriasis with excellent results. AND, when I got my electrocautery branding a while back, emu oil saved the day.
    The scab was so large and dry I could barely move my arm, emu oil softened it right up.

Weird... its been me telling the staff not to handle frogs, and I didn't see that in our reptile/amphibian training session. Far out.

Hey! I saw the pics!!

Based on how mottled the green coloring is on your WTF in this pic:
    http://www.geocities.com/trx350x_rider/geckos/dcp_1697.jpg

In my experience and estimation what you have there is a BROWN White's Tree
    Frog who is stressed out from her move to the new tank and thereby appears green and mottled. Once she calms down she'll probably go back to brown. I also have brown WTFs and in the past they have had that exact same mottled green appearance when stressed. True green WTFs do not appear mottled, but if you stress them out they appear mottled brown.

This page has images of both green and brown WTFs:
    http://charity_dominic.tripod.com/Pictures.htm (note I do not condone or suggest handling frogs unless necessary)

Obese green specimen:
    http://www.veiledchameleon.com/images/Amphibians/whites_treefrog2.jpg

Lack of mottling in the color is what I'm attempting to demonstrate with those pics. Hope that helps... your frogs will probably both be a nice smooth mottle-free brown color in a few more days. Let me know what happens!

Well, I've learned something new. The statement above didn't sound quite right to me, so I checked it out and proved myself wrong, and
    Fr0glet right.

Here are the details for those who are interested in such things:

Human sebaceous glands produce an oil called sebum. Human sweat glands produce.....(can you guess?)..... sweat. The two mix together on the skin surface to create the "acid mantle", a protective layer with a pH ranging from 4 to 5.5 (pH less than 7 is acidic).

The California EPA cites a study performed on amphibians of the Sierra
    Nevada to test their resistance to different pH's. Lab survival rates of all tested amphibians (both larval and adult stages) were reduced at pH 4.5 and below.

Of course, these frogs were living in water with low pH, not merely coming in contact with acids for a brief period of time, so one wouldn't expect to see such dramatic results from periodic handling.

Other considerations:

Sebum is a mild waterproofer. Waterproofing frogs seems like a bad idea.
    If the acid mantle is hydrophobic, it may be resistant to being washed off once the amphib is placed back in it's water, keeping the acid in contact with the skin longer.

Add that info to all the other reasons not to handle amphibs: delicate skin that is easily torn or abraded, and possibility of absorption of all the chemicals (detergents, perfumes, lotions) that we put on our skin, and the picture just keeps getting uglier.

I also managed to learn that emu oil has few phospholipids, as does human skin oil, so it makes a great moisturizer.

Thanks for the new bit of info Froglet! BTW, Petco had the only documentation I saw directly relating human skin oils with amphibian handling. Most interesting.

Congrats on leopard geckos!! They're great pets.

Cool! Sounds like they're loving their new tank! How can you tell she's shedding? I can usually only tell if I see them bloating up like a baseball, or yawning repeatedly, or wiping their skin off themselves with their adorable little feet...

Link doesn't work for me.

fr0glet

Hi - i was just looking at the photos of ur WTFs and they both look exactly like mine! i always believed that they must both either be different types of WTFs- ie one is a more green colour, and appears more 'beefy' and the other has a mahogony type brown colour and less chunky, or that their differences were cos one was male (the beefy one- he croaks alot, i guessed he was a male) and that purhapse the other one was a female ('she' doesnt croak at all). Maybe one is male and the other female- along with the fact they r different types of WTF! Do u know if there are other types- Australia is very big, i can imagine there should be many variations!

+ Reply to Thread