+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: leopard gecko with cloudy eyes

leopard gecko with cloudy eyes

I have a leopard gecko with eye problems kind of like fr0glet described on rec.pets.herp a month or two ago. She`s keeping her eyes closed most of the time but when she opens them they are cloudy like cataracts with some opaque stuff on the edges of the lids. I`m kind of desperate because we only have one herp vet in town (Fairbanks, Alaska) and he doesn`t seem to have much experience with smaller animals. We had one leo die from this last fall because the vet didn`t have the right kind of antibiotic but if there`s no hope for Moz anyway then I want to be responsible and euthanize her comfortably rather than letting her die of respiratory infection like Shu eventually did.
    Does anyone know what causes this? We`ve had Moz for almost two years and she`s been very healthy all along (Shu was too). We use dry desert litter for substrate, keep her warm with a cooler place to choose, give her fresh water, and she eats crickets, nutrient dusted about half the time. Are we doing something wrong to poor Moz? Is there a specific antibiotic I should ask for?

Re:leopard gecko with cloudy eyes

mammals but i dont belive its avail sep for herps. Also availbe for humans.
    My female now again has the condition and blind, but shes fine, i hand feed her and she knows the way around the viv and water etc, nice and fat.
    Just cos shes blind dont mean shes gonna die.

Julian also suggested this medication to me, but I wasn`t able to procure it in the US (Jules is a brit).
    I should have posted a follow up... I was able to completely eradicate my leopard gecko`s cloudy eye cataract-lookin-stuff with Gentamicin Sulfate Ophthalmic Solution USP, 0.3%. It says on the bottle that Federal Law prohibits dispensing without a prescription. hth fr0glet

Welsh.....i always but England for documents etc never GB.....limeys fine too!
    Froglet, i took some pics of my blind lep gex, can i send you the pics and can you pop them on the website with my other images please.(hugs n kisses, grovel)

are to be planted on my big ass? fr0glet

;-)

no steroidal agents, just the acid.

several other brands of antibiotic ophthalmic ointments out there. I would guess that without knowing specifically what the infection is (if it is indeed an infection in this case) one antibiotic would be as good as any other? Chelatna, you can have your vet look at this: http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings.plx?CID=WSAVA2002&PID=2569
    And Julian`s right. I`ve seen several blind lizards live long and otherwise healthy lives. If it is indeed an infection that is causing the problem (it sounds like it is, but best to make sure) it`s probable that the first lizard died from the infection, not from the blindness. You still have cause to be optimistic here. Good luck!

feed mine, althought shes never lost weight so i feel she may 1 out 7-8 hunts grab a insect herself, the others inc the large male do not treat her any differant and she finds water, knows her way around the viv, infact its the only lep gex who comes looking for me when i open the door, and we have bonded.......

fusidic acid. It appears to be manfactured in Europe. Medline has it available in Canada under the brand name Fusidin Leo, but doesn`t have any info on US brand names. From this I make the mental leap that it may not be available in the US. Here`s the thing: Most antibiotic ophthalmic ointements seem to have steroids in them (but not the Fucithalmic). I know every time the zoo`s vet gave us ophthalmic ointment (usually to treat frog skin infections) she wrote "no eyes" on it in big huge letters if it had steroids (eg dexamethasone). Now, I would think steroids on amphib eyes wouldn`t do any more damage than steroids on amphib skin, and we often used it in on scraped rostroms and she never warned us about keeping it out of eyes when doing this. So I make another mental leap to thinking the "no eyes" warning was for the reptiles. However, I can`t find anything to back this up one way or the other. No reliable sources specifically recommending something like Tobrex for use on herp eyes or warnings against. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

+ Reply to Thread