+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Basking Area Temperature for Bearded Dragon?

Basking Area Temperature for Bearded Dragon?

Just purchased a bearded dragon, and was wondering if the basking area is the right temperature (esp not too hot). I can only find thermometers that go up to 100, so I can only guess if it`s OK.
    My setup:
    -33 gallon tank. -150W Heat Lamp -Rocks are piled up to about 10 inches from the top of the cage.
    I`m worried because he doesn`t seem to want to stay there for more than 2 minutes before leaving for the other end of the tank. To the touch, the rock is very hot, and I can place my hand on it, but it`s uncomfortably hot.
    Any rules of thumb out there for checking this?

Re:Basking Area Temperature for Bearded Dragon?

With only a 33 g tank you need a cool side and basking site that`s around 98 degrees, the temp as your body ,if you put them in water for what ever reason the same apply`s.Be careful with a 150 watt and a tank as the whole tank can heat up,i`d mabee try a lower wattage bulb and get some stick on thermometer strips like for aquarium as there easy to place on basking site to check temp......B

Re:Basking Area Temperature for Bearded Dragon?

I have the same worry about rocks. My leopard gecko dug a little cave under one of the rocks, but even though its at the opposite end of the tank than the heat bulb, the rock still warms up. Its not hot, but warm to the touch and the heat spreads through the entire rock. Is there any way to judge if it is too hot?

do you have a stat applied or is the bulb on full all the time. I have a beardy and i use a habistat themostat to keep the ambient temperature to a maximum, but if yours is on all the time the ambient temp may be too high not just the basking spotyou wont need a thermometer that goes over 100 as i have found that around the mid 90's is preffered by my beardy....

but dont forget that if he wont stay there for long than he is telling you its too hot...
    try lowering the temp to the mid 90's may be lower so the rock is warm to the touch and not too hot as they use the heat from both above and underneath...
    it takes some time to find what your lizard will like as like us they all like it different..

Basking spot should be 100-110 degrees and cool side should be 80-85 degrees! They will thermo regulate themselves meaning, they will go to the cooler side when needed!

To measure temps and humidity you should have a temp gun or digital probe thermometer, if you dont have either, i HIGHLY suggest you go pick one up today! They are the ONLY accurate way to read temps, the stick ons are anywhere to 20 degrees off!

MIKEMAGIC--If its warm to your touch it's usually too hot for a leo to be resting on, they say the same when you bath your herps, that if it's warm to our touch it's too hot for them, it should be luke warm!

my vivarium for my bearded dragon heats up to 125 and im struggling to keep his temp correct while im at work! any ideas?

I have a 3 month old bearded dragon. he recently moved into a 40 gallon tank and I'm having trouble getting his basking area to reach the right temperature. I'm currently using a 150 watt basking bulb, and as far as i know there is not a more powerful bulb available. Right now his basking area is only maintaining a temperature of 78 degrees. I'm using a digital thermometer and he is on a sand substrate. Any advice on how to raise this temperature? another basking bulb or would that be too much?

Put a piece of ceramic tile or shale on the basking spot, it will definitely get the temp over 100 F.
    My animals: iHerp

To measure temps and humidity you should have a temp gun or digital probe thermometer, if you dont have either, i HIGHLY suggest you go pick one up today! They are the ONLY accurate way to read temps, the stick ons are anywhere to 20 degrees off!
    +1 the stick on ones are great if you want to know what temp the glass is.

my vivarium for my bearded dragon heats up to 125 and im struggling to keep his temp correct while im at work! any ideas?
    Can you give more detail, light watt, enclosure size, substrate, temps cold and hot...

I never had a basking side and my Beadie lived 10 years. Well I hade a heat lamp. Beardies are easy

+ Reply to Thread