+ Reply to Thread

Thread: turtle shell fungus *help*

turtle shell fungus *help*

I have a small painted turtle with some pretty nasty shell fungus (white/greyish spots). I took it to 2 different vets, 1 gave me conofite cream (miconazole nitrate 1% aka monistat), and the other "suggested" uv light. Neither the u.v. light or the cream is helping, and actually seems like its getting worse. The vets seem clueless, and I can`t seem to find any info on the web about this problem, does anyone have suggestions/weblinks/etc on turtle shell fungus? thanks in advance

Re:turtle shell fungus *help*

Provide the turtle with plenty of dry land area, good, warm basking spots, intense UV light...then swab the spots with Betadine solution and allow to fully dry before applying the conofite....this regimen works in most cases.

Re:turtle shell fungus *help*

this may sound gross, but smell the shell if it smells really bad it is a fungal infection. Most of them are caused by improper husbandry. Most of the time the enclosure is not being filtered enough, turtles are super dirty, you must clean the filter much more often then you would for fish. and do complete waterchanges at least once per week. If you are not using a strong canister type fish tank filter, you will need to do water changes everyday,, also go to a pet store and get some of the little turtle shaped sulfa blocks, put one in the water, they help kill the fungus, and last make sure the animal has a good basking site where it can haul itself out of the water and bask under a lamp. if you would like you can email me with more questions, I have rehabilitated countless herps. I have the singular misfortune of being a sucker for them, and my mother works for animal control, so I am asked to identify/care for abandoned herps on a regular basis.

+ Reply to Thread