+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do snakes sleep?

Do snakes sleep?

They must do ...??
    Often I have thought this and of the reason why they have evolved to have no lids?
    What do you think, or is there medical fact?

Re:Do snakes sleep?

snakes as well as other lidless animals do go into a sleep (or sleeplike) state.
    Even mammals can sleep with their eyes open. Have you ever sat through a thermodynamics class?

mammalian sleep in snakes. However, I`ve never seen any references for this, and a brief search doesn`t turn up anything very useful, beyond this article:
    DIURNAL VENTILATORY PATTERNS IN THE GARTER SNAKE THAMNOPHIS-ELEGANS. HICKS-J-W {a}; RIEDESEL-M-L Journal-of-Comparative-Physiology-B-Biochemical-Systemic-and-Environmental- Physiology. 1983; 149 (4): 503-510. which says that garter snakes breathe less often at night than during the day. This difference is attributed to a sleeping state at night... but whether the occurrence of the sleep state is an assumption or something for which they`ve got references, and how strictly they use the term `sleep`, I`d have to go and read the article to find out. Maybe I`ll do that later, but maybe not...

When a bird perches, it can sleep at the same time, but you may ask "How does the bird not fall off the branch or wire when it`s sleeping?" this prompted some study and they discovered that the birds sleep with only half their brain at a time! So while one half of the brain get it`s RnR the other keeps awake and (I`m assuming with one eye) keeps an eye on predators as well as keeping it`s balance. So maybe snakes do something similar, but I`m NOT gonna attribute this to the whole "reptiles evolved from birds" crap because personally I believe that the whole theory (it`s STILL a THEORY) of evolution is just an ill concieved pill of... Well anyways, you get my point. But if anyone is planning on debating evolution with me, I must warn you to get your facts all lined up or your REALLY gonna have a very hard time keeping up with me!

I think they do sleep. When my corns stay in dark places like under their hide box and hide the head under the substrate and under their coils when I lift it up for see what they`re doing, they seem to say `leave me alone and switch off the light!`.

According to some people, birds are reptiles (and, while we`re at it, snakes are lizards), but this view of taxonomy is not so widely accepted. It`s also worth mentioning that the fact that evolution is a theory is not at all to its detriment. Despite the connotations of uncertainty that `theory` often has in ordinary language, it is often applied to things of which scientists are quite certain, e.g., the theory of relativity, or cell theory.

Ya sorry, I said it all backwards. "Birds evolved from reptiles" but that`s beside the point, I was just giving an example of other creatures in nature who are awake yet asleep. provided, such as electron detectors; the experiment where two atomics were synchronized, one put into a plane going very fast for a long time showed a very slight lag in time; and you can see a cell for yourself by buying a simple microscope and placing blood or skin onto a slide. But there has never been any, and I mean ANY, evidence showing that one life form evolved into another. But an interesting thing is that the theory of evolution was contrived in a time when spontaneous generation was popular (maggots forming in rotten meat) and no one knew about micro organisms. Also the theory focuses on one creature changing into another, but it never addresses the very ORIGIN of life, the "first cell", every attempt I have seen at that has been simply just a good joke. your placing that on the basis that there is no scientific merit to creation, that it`s just a child`s story with magic and improbable events. I bet you didn`t know that water is diamagnetic. Meaning that when exposed to a very high magnetic field the water will separate, similar to the account when Moses parted the red sea. Now I`m not saying that Moses had advanced knowledge in electromagnetic fields or anything, but the experiment (yes they parted water with a magnetic field in a lab) proves that what happened in Moses` day HAS scientific merit. I don`t know if you personally have a Bible, but if you look at Isaiah 40:22, you`ll see it says (depending on which version you have, I have the NWT) "There is one dwelling above the circle of the earth". Only 500 years ago people were just coming to the realization that the earth is a sphere, not a flat surface, yet the Bible already had the scientific facts written down. I bet I know what your gonna say next, that the Greeks already had ideas and theories that the earth was not flat. But the problem with that is that the book of Isaiah was completed in 745 B.C.E. Much before the Greeks thought up their philosophical ideas.
    I don`t wanna write anymore right now, I`ll end up with a book.

complexity of any animal could have arisen by chance requires more faith than an intelligent creator with a purpose.
    Read what I replied to Patrick Alexander, I`m all typed out.

Very true, but gravity can be proven. Simple.

the theory-status of evolution does not indicate any uncertainty. If you like, you can say that uncertainty exists all the same, but it`s not anything to do with evolution being a theory... power. The theory of evolution has a great deal of explanatory power, and there are no competing theories with a remotely similar level of explanatory power. This is the primary evidence. Similarly, if you and I are alone somewhere and start out with $5 each, and I say, `Look over there!` and you after having looked where I pointed you notice that I have $10 and you don`t have anything, you don`t need evidence--there`s only one plausible explanation, so you take it. life itself, so this isn`t a problem. Similarly, it is not a problem of the theory of relativity that it does not explain the origins of life. or not these sections of the bible are plausible is simply irrelevant. They are not at issue.

+ Reply to Thread