+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How much and how often should I feed my fire bellied toad and newt

How much and how often should I feed my fire bellied toad and newt

I have a fire bellied toad and a newt. I purchase 12 small crickets and added to their enclosure and 24 hours later there are no more crickets. Are they gorging themselves? Should I feed them a limited amount of crickets each day, or do I just need to buy more crickets?
    I also think that maybe my frog`s skin color is darkening. Is this something to worry about?

Re:How much and how often should I feed my fire bellied toad and newt

I have 4 fire belly toads, and they don`t eat every day. When I do feed them, its about every three days and each one will eat 1-4 3/4 inch crickets. They can actually tackle a full size cricket without problems, but probably a little smaller than adult size is better for them. I would say that daily feeding is probably more hassle than its worth, and they can honestly live for a week + without food. As far as getting darker, I have definitely noticed this with fire-bellies. Usually after they feed they will brighten up, just make sure you actually see it eating, so you know that one or the other isn`t eating all the crickets. Dust the crickets with a vitamin supplement once or twice a week and try feeding a little larger crickets, less often. FWIW I don`t recommend firebellies and newts in the same tank. Firebellies will attack just about anything, I`d hate to see you find your newt hanging out of the toads mouth one day. Why don`t you buy another firebelly and set up a seperate tank for a newt or two. ryan

Thank you for the reply. Do you really think the cohabitation is a bad idea? When I purchased the toad and the newt, they were housed in the same tank. I haven`t noticed any abhorrent behavior. They both keep to themselves. The only concern I have had, until reading your response, was the toad eating up all the crickets before the newt could feed. Again, thanks.

Cohabitaion is sort of an on-going debate. It *can* be done successfully, but theres always the chance it won`t work out. Unfortunately pet stores do a lot of really crappy things to the pets they house, so I wouldn`t be looking THERE for a good example of how to take care of your critters. Yes, they might live side by side with no problems for a long time, but you never know if ol` hoppy is gonna get sick of crickets one day and decide to try out some newt. You`ve seen firebellies feed before, they`re pretty ferocious for such a little toad. Once they have something in their mouth, its pretty much no exit , one-way only kind of thing. Case in point- two firebellies fighting over a cricket the other day. One had a cricket in his mouth, instead of playing tug-of-war, the other firebelly swallowed his ENTIRE HEAD ! I saw it happen ! one second he was eating a cricket, the next second his head disappeared into the others mouth ! I don`t think he would have actually eaten the other firebelly (who knows), but it goes to show you that anything that will fit is considered fair game. The other point is that firebellies excrete toxins. While the toads are immune to the toxin, other creatures in the same enclosure could eventually die of a toxin buildup. So, they may be just fine for now, but there are definitely reasons to keep them seperately. Thats your call though, and it *can* be done successfully, but there is always the possibility... Ryan

I know this message is really old but I have the same question and just got my frogs about a month ago. I'm hoping you guys will still get this reply as I have a few related questions. I have two fire-bellied frogs that live in a tank with fish. I have about 25% of the tank as land area and provide crickets as well as feeder guppies. I've learned to feed them every two days and they do get guppies on their own occasionally. How many crickets/ guppies should I provide every two days? Thanks for any advice.

well i got a problems with mine at the moment they havnt eaten for a month but there singing and swiming fine . but i would feed every 2 days

Thanks for the reply simsey. I wish I could give some advice to why your frogs aren't eating but I'm new to this. I hope they'll be okay. I know to feed mine every two days but what I'm trying to figure out is how much to feed every two days. I put in 6 crickets today and they gulped them up in a matter of minutes. Can they over eat? Thanks again and good luck with your fellas.

yes they can over eat. put as much cickets it as they can eat in 2 - 5 mintues

Ok, thanks. It's funny...the one that is the better hunter is much skinnier than the fat ass one that is lucky to catch one at all! Maybe when they were still in the tank at the pet shop he ate too much. He is a bit of a bully. Hope yours are doing ok. Thanks again for the reply.

+ Reply to Thread