+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How do you keep your humidity up?

How do you keep your humidity up?

I'm having a hard time keeping the humidity in my ig tank at a constant decent level. It's a 40g tank so there's no room to put a humidifier in there. I tried one of those reptile humidifier things from Petco & it didn't do anything. I do spray the tank with a spray bottle a few times a day, but that will only raise the humidy a little & it goes back down rather quickly.

What should I try without breaking the bank?

Re:How do you keep your humidity up?

Soil as a substrate and live plants help keep humidity up along with spraying the enclosure.

Here is a list of non-toxic live plants:
    http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...S=4&SourceID=6

Soil can be dug up in an area that is pesticide free or can be bought at a garden/home improvement store (as long as it is free of manure, etc.). The soil should be baked at 350F in an oven for 15-30 minutes to kill any parasites, harmful bacteria, etc.. Keeping the soil moist (not soaked) will help keep up humidity.

Other than this, the humidity does not constantly need to be at 80% or however high it must be for iguanas. Letting the enclosure dry out a bit is okay. Too much humidity all the time will result in mold growing in the enclosure.

try putting plastic wrap over half (leave room so air can still get in) or the top of the aquarium, then place a second water bowl in the aquarium on the opposite side. as the water evaporates it add humidity to the aquarium

chase~n~thunder wrote:
    try putting plastic wrap over half (leave room so air can still get in) or the top of the aquarium, then place a second water bowl in the aquarium on the opposite side. as the water evaporates it add humidity to the aquarium
    The lights & heat would melt it

I could maybe use a piece of plexi to cover the basking bulb side. Would be a bad thing if I put it on the UVB light side.

well, whatever, you catch my concept, lol.

I sometimes put a towel over half of my screen topped aquariums, when I need to elevate humidity during sheds.

salty should the towel be wet??

Saltydog88 wrote:
    I sometimes put a towel over half of my screen topped aquariums, when I need to elevate humidity during sheds.
    That will block the light from his basking bulb

Put a heat pad under the soild, and wet the soil really good. It will raise the humidity up to 100% really quickly. And it makes it nice in there!

+ Reply to Thread