+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rosy Boa won't eat

Rosy Boa won't eat

Hi - I'm new to forums, so bear with me. About 6 months ago I bought a juvenile Mexican Rosy Boa, eating 2 pinkies per week like clockwork. A few months ago he stopped eating regularly, and now has worryingly long breaks between meals. It has been 5 weeks since he would last eat, despite my regular trying. The oddest thing is, he is still very active and is regularly out and about in the viv. But he seems to have no interest when offered food. Can anyone help?

Rosy Boa won't eat

Hi PandorasBox, welcome to the forum I'm happy you joined us.

I am in NO WAY a snake connoiseur but I have seen people write many times their snakes stop eating for a few months in a row from time to time.

I think the other members here can fill you in on that

Rosy Boa won't eat

Hi - thanks for the welcome Believe it or not, I've kept snakes for 15 years - and I'm at a loss with this guy. Just thought I'd see if anyone had any further suggestions before I gave the vet a call.

Rosy Boa won't eat

How big is the rosy now? Is this your only snake?

The reason I ask size is the not eating will have a worse effect on it if it is still small.

Sometimes snakes will go without eating because they are in shed, or if they are gravid.

Were you feeding frozen/thawed pinkies or live? If you have been using frozen, try live. Some animals can be strange and change thier mind on what they like.

Re:Rosy Boa won't eat

how are you presenting the food? dropping live, dangling thawed? Anytime mine wouldn't take frozen I couls hold a live one in front of her and she would take it.I've never had one that went off eating for long that wasn't a neonate but i know it happens. If it is eating some and staying active I wouldn't be too concerned but a trip to the vet has never hurt either

Hi thanks for the replies. Originally I dangled thawed pinkies and he took them with no problems. I then gradually progressed to leaving them on the ground, and he still ate them. He's about 12-13 inches long at the moment. I cannot think of anything that would have put him off eating - he is in the same viv, the food is the same, as is the temperature. I have four snakes altogether, and my parents have had them since I was a child, but I've run out of ideas. Getting hold of live pinkies may be tricky, as feeding live prey is actively discouraged in Britain.

Is he losing weight?

Oddly enough, he doesn't appear to be. And he's very active. But 5 weeks is the longest any of my snakes has gone without eating. My python can be a bit fussy, but he's never gone longer than 3 weeks without food.

Maybe try NOT offering him any food during a whole week or week and a half....

I don't think you have to worry - as I wrote before I have seen many people writing about their snakes not eating for some longer period of time and as long as they don't lose weight this seems to happen from time to time.

Still, me not being a snake owner I only convey what I have read of course - by no means my opinion can be taken as reliable

i found the following online in a care sheet for rosy boas. I personaly don't like cooling my snakes due to the risk of respritory problems but witholding offering food may be the right thing to do as well as checking the thermal gradient. hope that helps. let us know if she starts eating again

Some of the frequent causes of non-feeding boas is stress, suboptimal thermal gradient, or overhandling. If your Rosy Boa repeatedly refuses food, try using a hide box, offer smaller sized prey in the early evening, offer thoroughly thawed frozen mice, reduce handling, and/or provide a more natural environment. Neonates may often prefer thawed frozen pinkies and runt hoppers. Adult males will often discontinue feeding while breeding season is ongoing, and females may discontinue while gravid. Both situations are normal and not cause for alarm. After breeding, or delivery of a litter, rosy boas usually return to normal feeding regimens. Seasonal change can also affect appetite, and the onset of Fall may trigger the Rosy Boa, particularly neonates, to stop feeding and prepare for winter. If this is observed, withhold food for two weeks, then cool the animal to 50o-64oF for 3-10 weeks. Upon warming to normal temperatures, most rosy boas will resume feeding.

+ Reply to Thread