+ Reply to Thread

Thread: russiant tortoise nails

russiant tortoise nails

Hi there! I have a problem... and I need some help! My russian tortoise, Ella{Love-0002011D}, has long nails and I thought it was time to cut them. I don't know how to though, and I read that long nails can be a health problem. I can't cut them with human nail clippers because her nails are too thick, and I just need a safe way to clip her nails. Will they bleed?:huh:

russiant tortoise nails

Is that so?? I know their nails usually get clipped with a regular (but very sharp) human nail clipper :unsure: They might bleed though, so it is always advisable to have some ferric subsulfate stiptic powder ready

russiant tortoise nails

thanks, what I meant about being too thick though is that the nails won't FIT into the nail clippers! Can you cut them with scissors? :unsure:

russiant tortoise nails

umm i wouldn't recomend it try buying a bigger nail clipper maybe a toe nail clipper or something those are bigger than normal nail clippers

russiant tortoise nails

Ok... I've looked, and I couldn't find any. Why aren't there big nail clippers in the world!

russiant tortoise nails

Try a vet supply site for animal nail clippers. I'm sure there are big nails on big dogs.

russiant tortoise nails

thanks! I'm going to ask for her nails clipped at her next visit!

russiant tortoise nails

Are you sure they are too long? Russians can have some pretty long ones. Do you have things in the enclosure to naturally wear down her nails? Things like rocks and logs come to mind. Also will give her somethings for mental stimulation, exercise, and if we give a human emotion, then fun too.

Salty is right, they do have bigger nail clippers for big dogs in the pet stores and vet supply locations.

If you have never clipped nails before, it is best to have a vet do it and show you how it is done.

russiant tortoise nails

yes, I do have rocks in the enclosure and log for her to hide under. I have never clipped her nails before, so I had the herp do it. thanks for the advice!

russiant tortoise nails

i wouldnt clip them in there nails is meant to be veins.i woul;d put sum slate under basking light so when stretching they wear down thats what i did with mine and have gone down quite a bit as she use to draw blood 1 time:angry:

+ Reply to Thread