+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Snake eggs going bad

Snake eggs going bad

My diamond python recently laid a clutch of 15 eggs, it was my first clutch, and i was going to let the mother incubate them but after about a week the eggs started going bad, they were going blue and slimy and the mother started avoiding them.

i removed the bad eggs from the clutch and placed them in a home made incubator but the eggs continued going bad.

the temperature in the enclosure averaged 30 and the humidity was pretty good i thought. although i didnt have a hydrometer.

although its probably to late to save the eggs any suggestions on what may have gone wrong, or tips for next time would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Snake eggs going bad

Sorry about things not working out. I will wait for one of the snake knowledgable folks to chime in, but things could have been wrong from the start. The eggs may have been infertile from the start.

Snake eggs going bad

Thanks for the reply jacqturtle,

I cut open one of worst lookin eggs today,I dont Know if it was alive but there was definitely a baby snake inside.

But what is the best way to tell if your eggs are fertile?

Anyway I have Three eggs left.

Snake eggs going bad

They should be nice and white looking like marshmellows lol! If they have a yellow tint usually means infertile. You can candle the eggs meaning take a flashlight and stick on the end of the egg you can see through if there are veins and something dark inside usually means good!

Can you get any pics of the eggs?

First time breeders don't always produce good eggs sometimes it is the males shooting blanks! Never know!

Snake eggs going bad

Sometimes even bad looking eggs will still be good. My belief is if you can, give an egg every chance to hatch.

LL told you how normally they look. How long have you had them and what is normal for that species?

Re:Snake eggs going bad

NewBreeder wrote:
    Thanks for the reply jacqturtle,

I cut open one of worst lookin eggs today,I dont Know if it was alive but there was definitely a baby snake inside.

But what is the best way to tell if your eggs are fertile?

Anyway I have Three eggs left.

I am not a snake owner :blush: so, don't take my so-called 'advise' too seriously. but, I would, if these were the eggs of my snake, definitely just leave them with the mom and wait. I personally think a tiny bit of nature (like letting the mom-snake be in charge of how things develop) should be upholded :blush:

Sorry if I trampled on anyone's toes and gave the wrong advice, but this is what I would do :blush:

Natural incubation is fine but not always successfull! Niether or incubators, but either way it's the choice of the breeder!

Heys guys thanks for all the replies,

I didnt get any pics of the bad eggs,
    The last couple of eggs are looking pretty healthy still so ill keep incubating them they definitely look fertile (like a Marshmellow,) the others went blue and had a clear sticky slime on them they started to smell pretty rotten so i removed them from the icubator( I thought it might spread through all the eggs)

thanks Again for the help

ok, if you can please keep us updated on what's going on further on

Yea blue smelly eggs are not usaully good! Hehe

Good luck with the rest and let us know what happens!

+ Reply to Thread