+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: can i keep a boa and a ball python together?

can i keep a boa and a ball python together?

I have a columbian rainbow boa and i was wondering if it was safe to keep a balll python in the same tank as the boa? i dont think it is safe but i thought i should ask to see what othere people think because im kinda new at keeping snakes.

Hi,B)

In a nutshell i 've got to say no. You say you are new to keeping snakes, well in that case only expierienced keepers should try this and even then it is not fool proof. All snakes are carnivores and some are even cannabalistic, there is also territorial disputes. Research both animals requirements completely as one may require more space than the other. You don't want to wake and see one of them dead or missing. Some success can be had, but personally it is not worth risking it, also individual animals within a species may have different temperments and tolerance values so once again you have to really know about your snakes. I tend to find ball pytons shy and docile snakes that like their own space. If it does go wrong it can also become costly as snakes aren't exactly cheap either! hope this helps

Ooooo...not a good idea.
    Usually alright when they're the same age, same species. But a boa and a ball is asking for trouble.

Never alright. Even two of the same species and starting size will first off not stay the same size and that creates big problems. Someday, sometime, one snake will suddenly become either territorial or will decide fresh snake meat should be on the menu.

Another problem is one snake usually becomes stressed by having a cage mate.

Yet another very common problem is one animal being very generous and gifting the other with parasites or disease. Treating one animal with mites is bad enough, do you want to double your pleasure with two in treatment?

Then and maybe this should have been covered first, is that most often the two species are not identical in needs.

Most commonly the reason we want to double up is because we want more snakes, but either lack the space or the money for two separate housing units. To force them into even less then the bare minimum of their needs (that is often all we normally meet anyhow) for our own selfish wants, is not fair to them...and in the long run, ourselves.

Unless breeding, play it safe and smart, one snake per enclosure.

Before I forget to add: Welcome to the forum!!<br><br>Post edited by: jacqturtle, at: 2008/01/13 22:27

ok thanks alot ^^ i wont keep them together (i havent even desided on getting the python yet)thank you very much

i didnt think it was a good idea in the firstplace but tanks arent cheap so thought i would ask

Actually if you look around or put an ad up tanks are VERY cheap! I get all my tanks from others, at great prices.

It's never recommeneded to house any same species together let alone 2 different!

Very true. I am amazed at what I see on places like Freecycle. I know even I have many tanks I no longer use just laying around.<br><br>Post edited by: jacqturtle, at: 2008/01/19 00:26

haha cool thanks

During the winter months while its cold and all my snakes want to sleep non stop, ill usually pull out two or three tanks and put them in my living room and hold all my snakes in these. As long as they are fed seperately and not handled too much to stress them out, i have never had a problem with it. As for the mites issue, i spray all my snakes down with mite spray about once a month anyways. And i have 2 redtails that have been together since hatching and the one time i had a problem with them was while i was feeding and one wanted the others food. So long story short, have some experience with snakes before you go mixing and matching, and try to keep them to there selfs.

+ Reply to Thread