+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bearded dragon with attitude.

bearded dragon with attitude.

hey guys over the past couple of weeks ive had problems with my baby beardies not eating. on one note im happy to report that they both came good for a while, but yeterday unfortunatly the female passed away my male on the other hand is doing fine and is growing at an amazing rate. to be honest i think there might have been a problem with the female from the start. as the male was growing very fast and she didnt grow much at all. the thing is she was still eating untill a day before she died, so i didnt really think there was anything serious wrong with her. i thought that maybe she was just a slow grower.

neways, now for the real reason y im posting. the male that i have seems to be getting very snappy, its not a problem atm, because he wont hurt if he grabs u. im worried that if when his older he is still the same, that he wont have that layed back personality there known for. i want to be able to hold him and have other ppl hold him, without fear of been bitten. have any of you got any suggestions? is he likely to grow out of this attitude problem? he is roughly 3 months old.

thanks again guys.

Brad.

Hey Brad it could perhaps have been something about them both in the same enclosure? One can never know for sure of course but it might have caused problems relating to the dying of your female dragon and his snappynes?

Sorry to hear about your female beardie

I'm sorry to hear about you female. As for the male, I've had several beardies that are snappy at that age. I like to consider it their moody teenage years. Kinda like the "Look at me! I'm big bad and tough" mine have all calmed down though as they got older.

As for the bitting I wouldn't worry about it too much, they're meant for grabbing bugs and cutting up plants. Not tearing open prey so they won't cause too much damage even as an adult. Just keep working with your little one and be patient.

thanks for your advise guys i do appreciate all your help. my male is going just fine, he is a fat little thing. he is also shedding atm which i thought might cause him to be abit moody. i have mentioned this b4 but i still cant get him to eat his veg no matter what i put in there. so atm his diet is just crickets, which he loves. is it possible for him to over eat? he does seem to eat quite alot, i only feed him once a day, he eats about 5 med crickets everyday. i almost wet myself yesterday cos he ate 2 at once. u had to be there to see 2 cricket asses hanging out of his mouth. ahhh small minds.

Re:bearded dragon with attitude.

beardies are extremely hardy, atleast in my opinion. A young beardie is like a growing child and most will eat substantial amounts of food as they are growing like mad. as far as the veggies are concerend I wouldn't worry about that. keep offering them on a daily basis, but don't expect to see any big dents taken out of them. Young beardies tend to thrive on crickets and mealies, try to keep the meal worms low in the feeding ratio. I'm not sure why this is but I think it's a natural instinct that young beardies lean towards the carnivorous side to satisfy nutritional needs at an important growing time. Just be sure to dust crickets and mealies with vitamins, I use dragon dust, every other day.

+ Reply to Thread