Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Possible Broken Back on a Leopard Gecko

Possible Broken Back on a Leopard Gecko

Hey everyone,
    So a friend of mine just brought me his Gecko and to say its in bad shape is an understatement.

To start with, There is a knob right before the butt of his tail, its hard and feels like it could be bone

His midsection looks deflated when he leans up against the glass upright it looks very much like his back could be broken. He's not spry by any means but he moves all right for as bad as he looks.

Also, he is skinny as skinny can be, tail is tiny and shrunken. To take care of this problem I'm hand feeding him with a protein paste that helped my blind leopard back to health but I'm most worried about his back.

Even if I get him eating a good amount I'm wondering if his back is something that can heal?

Does anyone have any experience with possible broken backs? I know what everyone will say, "take him to the vet" and if possible will. But a vet will most likely tell me to keep doing as I'm going food wise, and if his back is broken I"m not sure what a vet would tell me. So lets try you guys first.

Thanks so much for you're help.
    Here's to hoping I can nurse another one back to health.

if it is a broken back, i highly doubt that it will just heal. A broken spine doesn't work like that. Is he housed with other geckos? The bump could be calcium build up on the bone, but I cant help you if you don't post pictures. If you ever have a question about an injury, always post pictures or links to pictures. They are very helpful. Sooo... You wanna get some pictures up?

I don't think he would be moving around at all if the back was broken. Sounds like a real good case of MBD. But this guy needs to see a vet to be sure and see what can be done if anything to bring him back up to speed.
    MBD in most cases if caught early on can be reversed, and if not caught early enough it can at least be stopped from going any further. But I think you realy need a Vet to tell you this..
    Good luck..
    Iguana 0:2:0
    Russian Tortoise 1:1:0
    Tree Frog 0:1:0
    Chinese Water Dragon 0:1:0

www.theroachbarn.weebly.com

It sounds like the damage to his back is done and there's not really anything I can think of that would help. Surgery on something that little would be very risky if at all possible. What I'd be most worried about is if he can pass the poo through with his back like that? Also are you feeding him anything other then the paste? Can he keep up with crickets?

Could you please post some pics for us to look at? Many people on this forum have vast exper. with reptiles and pics are often the most helpful.

I've actually pretty much determined its MBD and have got him on a high protein and high calcium mix which seems to be helping a great deal. His tremors, which only seem to be in his tail, have calmed down and in general he's more alert and eating a lot more. Hopefully, like you guys said, its been caught early enough and can be undone.

Yeah, If it was a broken back, he wouldn't move, and would probibly of died from stress. The sunken back sounds like MBD I had to deal with. His back wont straighten to much, but it can be helped. A sunken tail can be signs of paracites. You won't be returning the gecko right?

Re:Possible Broken Back on a Leopard Gecko

so im happy i found this, because my gecko who is about 2 years old now also recently had a significant looking bump on his upper back appear... will post pictures soon. Could it be because of colder weather coming around? or if it's a calcium build up, what can i do?

oh yea, and mine always attempts to climb the glass upright as well...

Mine tries to climb the glass too!

Closed Thread