+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Raising feeder mice

Raising feeder mice

Hi everyone, just looking for a little advise. I feed f/t mice to all of my snakes except for the ball pythons (can't get them to eat f/t, only live). Anyway, I am raising mice for my snakes and want to freeze the pinkies and hoppers. What is the most humainly way to kill them? Someone told me to just put the pinkies/hoppers in the freezer and they will die, but that sounds cruel. I heard about using CO2, but how and where would I get it?
    Thanks.

Raising feeder mice

Sticking any animal in the freezer is a bad way to go, when it is still alive. Its blood starts to crystallize and works its way through the body until it gets to the brain. Its still alive when this happens. It's like having your veins burst. Sorry for the description but it's true. I would think using a type of cash would work better, but I don't use any of these methods so I am sorry I can't help much. I feed live.

Raising feeder mice

Co2 can be bought at some walmarts, party stores, paint ball stores and stuff like that.

Raising feeder mice

Thanks. No, I would never just put them in the freezer and I told the person who told me that I couldn't be that cruel. He said "hey, they are just pinkies and will die anyway". Lost a lot of respect for him.
    Sorry if I sound dumb but how do you Co2 them? Should I put them in a plasic bag and then the Co2? I've never done this before.

Raising feeder mice

one method is to use a plastic bag or some other airtight container. simply put the mice in it and they eventually run out of oxygen and suffocate.

another method is to make a CO2 chamber.
    basically a tank of CO2 connected to a container via a hose. put the animals in it, close the lid (not an airtight one) and turn on the co2 so it fills the container and suffocates them.
    instructions for building one can be found here:
    http://www.strictlyballs.ca/co2chamber.html
    Read the Forum Rules!

Raising feeder mice

Good link on the Co2 but no need when you can just order this stuff and it is very easy to assemble...

One version of the finished product.

We have some of these and they are huge so I would like to use one.

This is the hose we are using.

This is the 20oz can we are using.

Here is some silicone you can order as well.

These are the links to where I ordered my stuff from. Prices aren't to bad. I went with the 20oz instead of the 9oz. I'm sure you have your own tubs to use. You will need silicone which probably costs around $3.25 not including the shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000MWYHAA/ref=pd_luc_mri?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=A38SVYIJZDU0C5&v =glance

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0018LBD6A/ref=pd_luc_mri?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=A2NVRQ8QSA5E0A&v =glance

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80050-Silicone-Adhesive-Sealant/dp/B0002UEPVI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=121655813 6&sr=8-4

My grand total was $47.27 for the hose and co2. Not including a bin and the silicone.

Directions:
    You will do whatever you have to do to make a hole in the bin/container you are using to put your rats/mice in. You can cut, drill or burn the hole. Attach the proper end of the hose to the hole and silicone it, let it dry. That's it. You will hook the co2 canister up to the other end and open the valve.

WARNING:
    Make sure your bin/container is not air tight or it will blow up.

Dave

Re:Raising feeder mice

zaroba wrote:
    one method is to use a plastic bag or some other airtight container. simply put the mice in it and they eventually run out of oxygen and suffocate.
    NOOO! That's a horrible slow death. No suffocating, thats just cruel. Can you imagine what they'd go through?

C02 is vet-recommended, simple and a bottle setup doesn't costya much...

Anyone that is sqeamish tho should just buy frozen.
    I have a lot of fun w/ my Fancy mice as pets and some end up as feeders, but I also bought a backup supply online.
    I think raising feeders became worth the trouble and overhead when I had more than 3 snakes.

Welding supply refills C02. Lookup CO2 cylinder on ebay. Lotsa paintballer ppl sell those 20 oz ones.

Thanks for all the info everyone. I do buy frozen - in bulk. at the rep shows, but we now have over 10 snakes and it can get costly. I figured I could save a lot of $$ by doing it myself. Does the container really need to be that big though? Can't it be about half that size?

The container is all based on your needs. U determine the size.

Dave

+ Reply to Thread