+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How much should I feed my ball python?

How much should I feed my ball python?

I have a 5 y/o ball python that is 3 feet long. I've had him for about 4 months now. His previous owner gave him 2 mice every 10 days. He's been doing good until these last 2 feedings. He's acting like I never fed him in the first place & is more aggressive earlier then usual when it comes close to his feeding times. Should I increase his diet to 3 mice or start feeding him 2 mice every 7 days? I know being an older snake he should be getting less. So what should I do?

If he has been underfed then it will affect his growth so it is a lil harder to give you and answer. Please post a pic. We can answer that question easily if he was proper age and size. I do want to add that I do a 7 day cycle and the food should be big enough to create a slight bulge in his belly when he eats. My opinion is at 3' he should be on rats and not mice. He may be older but that does not mean less. Based on numbers yes but not beased on overall food weight and content. He may eat 3 mice but maybe he should be on 1 medium rat. So saying he eats less cause he is older is not true.

Dave

Sorry I would like to add something as well. I just read this again. Are you sure it is 5 yrs old and 3'? If so he has been underfed.

Dave

He came from a bad home so it wouldn't suprise me if he was underfed as well. I'll try a medium rat. Thank you, for your advice.

how big is the food?
    ok, it might be 2 or 3 mice, but if they are small mice, they wont do much. a general rule of thumb is to feed them food that is as large as the widest part of there body. it may seem impossible for them to take it, but they can.

if yours is 5 years old then i agree with ithica in that it was underfed. one of mine isn't even 2 years old yet and is about 3ft.
    Read the Forum Rules!

They're the standard white feeder mice. About 3" long & 1" in width.

a general rule of thumb is to feed them food that is as large as the widest part of there body.

Great piece of advice there. I would of never thought to go by that. I'm still skeptical about feeding him a rat, b/c it seems like it would be too big for him. But, like you said it may seem impossible for them to take, but they can.

+ Reply to Thread