+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can turtles and tortises live in the same encloser

Can turtles and tortises live in the same encloser

I was wondering if any one out there knows if my box turtle and dessert tortise who at this time are about the same size can live in the same encloser? Will they fight? Do they do well together.

i have many times seen people who would keep land turtles and tortoises together with no obvious bad side effects.

overall it would depend on the size of the enclosure and there care requirements. if they have similar temperature and humidity requirements and eat similar food then the main thing to worry about is stress from being different species or from being the same sex if they are territorial.

during the summer we keep our young sulcata tortoise and eastern box turtle in a 6ft x 6ft outdoor pen. overall they both seem to be doing fine. they can often be found sleeping together in a hide and it seems that if they don't want company they will go into different hides. they will even eat from the same food bowl without hissing or anything.
    Read the Forum Rules!

I am going to vote, no. The box actually needs more humidity then the DT. Diet is also not the same with a boxie needing fruit and meat, where the DT should be on weeds/grasses.

If the DT is a male especially, once it gets bigger, it could harm the smaller boxie trying to breed or dominate it.

jacqturtle you seem to know a lot about this kind of stuff thank you for your advise. I know have anouther question you say my torise should be eating mostly grass and weeds. I have had him two days now and have tried feeding dandiliones, violes, rose buds, grass, cucumber, apple, tomato, and pear, and he has yet to seem to eat any thing. He does move around a lot seems bright eyed and gets in and out of his water dish. Should I be concerned yet? and is there any thing they really love to eat?

Did you happen to ask the folks you got him from what his diet had been? Often you need to start with what they are use to eating. I am assuming this isn't a hatchling DT correct? Give him some time (like a week) to get use to his new home. If he is an older youngster, they can go for several weeks without food.

Here is a good site to start with on DTs:

htpp://www.tortoise.org/general/descare.html.<br><br>Post edited by: jacqturtle, at: 2008/09/07 17:51

+ Reply to Thread