+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sick Leopard Gecko?

Sick Leopard Gecko?

I'm not sure if there's another place to find this answer, but I'd rather not waste time and cut to the chase.

My Leo, Sebastian (about a year old), seems to be unresponsive. I've only noticed it tonight; so I don't know, he might be better by tomorrow, but I don't want to take any chances.

Though he usually stays in his hut until night, this afternoon he crawled out (which is odd, he usually only comes out after the day lamp has been turned off). Not only that, but he's continued to lay there. I've placed food in front of him, and even poked him a little to see if he'd move, but he hasn't. He only seems to blink and twitch a little, even when I'm not touching him. Sometimes he settles down and closes his eyes. I think he might even be breathing heavy.

I'm really worried this is serious, and would like some opinions on what to do. Can he get better on his own, or do I need to hunt down a reptile vet? I'll admit, maybe I'm inexperienced or forgetful, he is my first lizard after all. Not enough calcium? Could the water have gotten something in it?

I would be extrememly grateful for some help.

EDIT: Day two, and he's not any better. If anything, he's worse. This morning he flailed his arms around a bit, but since then, he doesn't move at all. I've upped the temperature (reg. 80, now 85), and tried to get him to take some calcium/water by rubbing it on his jaw, but all he did was turn his head away. He won't even lick his mouth afterwards. It's not like he isn't hungry, he hasn't eaten in a good 3 days.

I don't know what to do. Any sort of reply would be appreciated.<br><br>Post edited by: Viti, at: 2009/02/25 21:56

Sick Leopard Gecko?

Hi Vita, I'm sorry that your post has been up for 24 hours and no one has offered advice.

Do a search from the top for sick leopard gecko. The threads should provide you with the information you are seeking.

I have 2 leopards but they have never been ill so I don't feel like I give quality adivse in that area.

Pat
    The BambooZoo is 260 pages of the information you are looking for: feeders, health, feature reptiles, cohabitation, bio active soils, caresheets (in depth), health articles and links, DIY's and cage art. Check us out, and participate too! www.bamboozoo.weebly.com

Sick Leopard Gecko?

Most lizards have a lot of symptoms/diseases in common. But there are a few possibilities that you need to take into account. My web site has all of the common ones listed. Go through the symptoms and treatments of impaction, parasites, MBD should not be an issue, nor is UVB, they can be eliminated. crypto that is a heavy one but I would think that you would already have seen symptoms. I also have sites listed in the links page on leopard gecko related sites and forums. Or on the leopard gecko page.

www.bamboozoo.weebly.com

I can't be of much help......but I can send you to people who can.

Pat
    The BambooZoo is 260 pages of the information you are looking for: feeders, health, feature reptiles, cohabitation, bio active soils, caresheets (in depth), health articles and links, DIY's and cage art. Check us out, and participate too! www.bamboozoo.weebly.com

Sick Leopard Gecko?

Thank you. No, I don't think it's crypto.

The most hopeful one is possibly brumation, could that be the problem? His cage can get rather cold, sometimes even to 70 degrees, though it's usually at 80. Could it perhaps fallen low enough to bother him into brumation?

It might be impaction, since I haven't seen him use the bathroom in nearly a week. But would that cause him to not be able to move hardly? -goes to read up-

Are you sure it couldn't be MBD? He shares a decent number of symptoms, including tremors, jerky movements, lameness, constipation, and weakness/partial paralysis.

Practically, all he's been doing is dragging himself around very, very slowly. And he's been unable to open his mouth.

I'll go try to search some more, but I'm starting to loose track of everyting. Thank you though, and if you have any other ideas what could be wrong, I would love to hear.

I'm also trying to find a vet for him, but I live in a rather rural area.

Sick Leopard Gecko?

I know it is overwhelming trying to assimilate this much information. But you do now have a good handle on many of the symptoms he is displaying. And more able to pass on the information needed.

While a drop in temperature would slow him down and possibly put him into brumation, it would not lead to the other symptoms that you are describing. I noted that you had said his breathing was rather heavy. Being chilled may have brought on a respritory infection. This would see the lizard go down rather quickly. But it would be mostly laying still, no eating. Tremors or paralysis wouldn't be displayed???? I dont think.

Thoughts on the MBD and the symptoms being similar. Leopard geckos do not require a uvb light. But it does bring to light a possible calcium shortage. But the development of mbd is a slow progression. Think hard about seeing previous symptoms for a while. If this is a possibility, a vet gives an injection of calcium. You would have to force feed, calcium + water, (dehydration will take him quicker than starvation). Pedialite unflavoured or electrolites for reptiles is another addition I would make to the mix.

impaction.....swollen belly? can you turn him over and see if you can see darkened areas?

My next step if I were you would be to contact one of the expert sites, contact all of them (there are some volunteers that will not give medical advice ) when possible pick someone that will. Do add in that your location is rural and you do not have the services of a reptile vet available.

I think I have 3 possibilities listed. for more.....do a search exotic pet expert sites.

Your description of your buddy, indicates the problem is critical. In the meantime, a little extra heat by a few degrees. An extra soaking may help a little. It can be done with pedialite or with the reptile electrolites.

Also try a search on forcefeeding reptiles to find tips on getting their mouths open. Sometimes pressing on both sides of the mouth back near the jaw will see them opening their mouths. Sometimes, stroking their throat will work.

Pat<br><br>Post edited by: BambooZoo, at: 2009/02/27 01:48

Re:Sick Leopard Gecko?

Well, if MBD comes along slowly, I doubt that is what he has. Just last week he was active enough to run around and climb to eat.

More likely impaction, from what, I have no clue. He lives on a reptile turf, or whatever you would call it. Unless flakes off the coconut hut or perhaps a cat hair (my cat has a bad habit of shedding on everything, even things she can't reach). I did notice a small blue dot on his belly when I picked him up a moment ago.

I placed him in a warm dish of water (read it somewhere) but just removed him as he was struggling a bit to get out. Now he's closer to the heat, with it being 85 degrees now, perhaps rising. I've been trying to eyedrop water on his jaw (not nose), but I can't find anything good on force feeding. His tail is still decently fat (the end is thinning out though), but I'm worried about him getting water.

He might be doing very, very slightly better. He drags himself a bit faster, I think.

If he's not better by tomorrow, I'm contacting every vet within the area to see if they'll take reptiles.

For an impaction you can try mineral oil but you have to be able to get it into him. This can be used for a couple of days in a row. soak him daily as well as the soaking can help them eliminate. But just for a few minutes he is still a desert animal. Do you have an undertank heater? Is he getting belly heat as is required by these guys?

If you have an extra heat pad? even one for us to put under the tank temporarily?

Good luck on finding a vet willing to look at him.

Please keep me informed and I will try to offer other suggestions.

Pat

Thank you for everything, but unfortunately he passed away this morning. I'm still not sure what it was, he slipped into it very quickly, and I don't think there was much I could do for him in the first place.

I am rather glad he died this early, I didn't want him to suffer for another week.

I'm upset, but I knew it would come. I'm not going to get another reptile for a few more years; between school and college prep and general activites, I've learned that I don't have enough time to devote to an animal that requires special attention, such as a lizard.

Thanks for helping me though. (:

I am very sorry to hear that Viti. I agree that it is very difficult to watch them go downhill and not have the answer. With all my buddies here, I have seen this happen too.

The only weapon we have in our arsenal to protect and nurture is our ability to see what is going on with them and be able to interpret what we are seeing.

Again, I wish I had been able to be of more help.

Pat

+ Reply to Thread