+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do red eared sliders molt, or what's the skin hang

Do red eared sliders molt, or what's the skin hang

I've had 3 red eared sliders that came with an aquarium for a couple weeks now, and the small one, just over 3 inches, has some skin or something hanging off him. It actually looks like the skin that comes off when i sunburn and it peels off. Is this probably molt, or do these guys molt.
    What would it be if not.
    He is the most aggressive of the three.
    The largest is about 5 inches, and the middle one is around 4 inches across.

I think it's perfectly normal this happens, but if you're not sure you should perhaps take him to a vet.

Molting happens because their shell grows. A new, stronger and bigger layer should have formed underneath the molting scutes already

I talked to a guy last night, bought a fluval filter from him, and he said that it happens, and with him he noticed it frequently, more than he thought should, so he changed the diet to a more vegitable matter, first in list of ingredients, and noticed it stopped being as frequent.
    He said the more fish meal or meat diet seemed to cause them to shed more. He has a 6 year larger RES
    He was feeding the Mazuri or whatever it is. He also said he tosses half an eggshell in once a week and they chow it down. He says he thinks it helps with shell nutrients. Calcium I figure.
    I just bought like 5 different kinds of food in the last two day, for variety and hopefully balancing the diet.

I gave them a bit of cut up strawberry last night and they didn't go crazy for it, like I thought they may. I did however, give the three of them 8 guppies and a couple ghost shrimp yesterday, so they were probably full, and weren't excited about the desert course
    I didnt' think they'd catch all the guppies, but they were gone last night
    The ghosts would sometimes fly out of the water and get stuck to the inside of the glass on the aquarium, and I'd have to wash them down into the water, or they'd probably be dried on the side of the tank now

Thanks

It's called shedding and they do both that and the scute shed. It's a sign normally of growing, unless as the other person told you, it becomes an all over and contentious thing. I always have a small chunk of a cuttle bone floating in my turtle tanks for the calcium.

I am very impressed with the way your getting such a variety of foods!

+ Reply to Thread