Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can fleas affect snakes?

Can fleas affect snakes?

My RTB starts thrashing inside his cage in the mornings. It seems like he is getting bit because he will suddenly jerk around in his cage, somtimes hitting his head into the glass and he won't eat. My cat brought fleas into the house and they got real bad. Ive managed to get them under control but I'm afraid they might be on him. I don't even know if they can affect snakes. If they can is there any advice you can give me to get rid of them from his cage and him safely.

Can fleas affect snakes?

if you had a bad case of fleas, there is a chance that they are be biting him. i wouldn't doubt it anyway. but to the best of my knowledge, regular fleas can't survive on reptiles like they can on cats and dogs. just like how snake mites will sometimes bite other reptiles, animals and people, but they can't actually reproduce using or live off of anything besides snakes.

soaking him in a tub for a few hours and then covering him with mite spray might work against them. as for the cage, it would need to be stripped bare, cleaned, and sprayed. any decorations will need to be baked or boiled as well.<br><br>Post edited by: zaroba, at: 2009/03/31 01:55
    Read the Forum Rules!

Can fleas affect snakes?

have you seen any fleas on him? This is odd behavior and I have never seen it before, perhaps something else is wrong?

Can fleas affect snakes?

I t all started when I started giving her Cefazolin shots for her RI. I can't see any fleas on her but there are reddish orange spots on her belly under her scales. I took her to the vet two days ago and the vet gave me baytril to give her orally to get rid of the RI. But she is still having bad fits where she thrashes around in her cage. To me it seems like she is getting bit by something or she cant control her muscles. It only lasts about 1 minute then she calms down again. Last night while she was having one of her fits, I'd tried to get her out of the cage so she wouldnt hurt herself and she bit me on the mouth. This is the first time she has every bit. She is usually very friendly and docile. After the episode she calmed down and I soaked her in the tub for about an hour. She was the same sweet girl she's always been. I know something is very wrong. I've made a emergency vet appointment today,I'm just about to leave. I hope they can find whats wrong with her. Anyone who reads this please pray for her. She came from a neglectful owner and I just want to give her a happy healty life. I'll post again when I learn more from the vet.

Re:Can fleas affect snakes?

Here's a picture of her.(her name is buddy)
    Attached Images

I hope she does well and they find out what is wrong I will pray for her.

any word from the vet??

If you are really worried ask your vet about them and try to clear your cat's fleas completly... they can jump into clothing and irritate your skin. - you could also google it and see what it comes up with.
    GOOD LUCK!

Well the vet told me my worst fear. The vet thinks it's IBD. Buddy has got the signs and they are getting worse. I just got home from work and her head and about a foot of her body was laying upside down. She turned back over when I tapped the cage. The vet was telling me about a new experimental anti-virus that is still being tested. It's never been used on a snake, but she said if I wanted to we could try it. Since she the IBD is going to kill her anyway I think I'm going to try it. If that don't work, I'll have to decide if I'm going to let her die naturally or put her to sleep. It's going to be a hard decision, but It's even harder watching her have her seziures and not being able to help. Thanks everyone who prayed for her. She has had a good life while she has been with me and if the new anti-viral works(cross my fingers)she'll continue to be happy. I'm gonna call the vet on monday and hope for the best. I'll post again when I know more...

Snakeman187
    AKA Jake

Good luck snakeman187, let us know how things turn out.

Closed Thread