+ Reply to Thread

Thread: is it tortoise mating season?

is it tortoise mating season?

I have a male and a female horsefield tortoise that are approx three and a half.

They came from the same clutch and I have had them for two years.

They live in a viv with a mvb.

Last year my female was hospitalised around july for two days and my male was aggressive when she got back.

He is becoming aggressive again and I am getting a little worried.

I could seperate them as I have a second smaller viv but it is too small for a mvb.

They have been fine for the last six months or so.

Is it tortoise mating season?

Any help would be greatly recieved.

It is quite common for tortoises to pester each other Don't know why this happened only after 6 months though but perhaps that's the age they become 'adults'. Is their enclosure large enough for them to roam freely around and about?

To answer your question, yes it is breeding season. Has he actually hurt her? Do they have lots of hides and visual blockers?

Their viv is huge and they have two hides in there but they tend to get in the same one together.

They were ramming each other for a week or so, but she was as bad as him so I left them to it.

Last night he bit her front leg so I took her out of the viv and put him in the spare ( it is much smaller for emergencies ) but she refused to come out of her shell for a good ten minutes.

Last year he did bite her badly, drawing blood, so I don't want it to get that far this year if I can help it.

I know it's natural for them-I just don't want her to get hurt!

I understand. Sounds like your doing the only thing you can at this point. Hopefully soon they will once more settle down and play nice.

Thanx-your reassurance means a lot to me

+ Reply to Thread