+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sick Gecko

Sick Gecko

I have an impacted albino leopard gecko. He/She hasn't had a BM in a couple of days and very lethargic and his/her tail has shrunk considerably. Fat belly with dark in it. I need to get this poor thing unclogged! I've been giving it warm baths twice daily for 15 minutes and giving it a couple drops of mineral oil while he/she is bathing. Still, no poop. What else can I do?

Sick Gecko

oh, and each warm bath contains half water and half pedialyte.

Sick Gecko

You're doing everything that I know to do of from the home. If you haven't already, I'd change the substrate to newspaper/paper towels so it doesn't ingest any more substrate, if that's what caused the impaction. Beyond that, it might be worth a trip to the vet's office. A vet might be able to do more than you can at home.

Sick Gecko

You can try watered down pumpkin as well. It is a natural laxitive. I would advise a real reptile electrolyte if you can to keep up strength rather than the pedialyte. It is awesome stuff that will help them through little slumps.

I have found the mineral oil to be very slow to help, in my experience. Try giving 2x a day. As he weakens he will have a harder time expelling it.

That is as much as I can add. Crossing my fingers for ya.

Pat

P.S. They also say to rub their bellies gently for a few minutes to stimulate the bowel.

Here is another thought...as I am currently dealing with an impaction as well with a little beardie. Keeping their bellies heated is important. For me and the beardie I have been carrying him around against my skin often as our body temp should be close to what he needs. Though leopards? it might be to hot for. Also exercise to stimulate body movement, though if weak, don't overdo it. They need the energy to fight the condition.

Pat<br><br>Post edited by: BambooZoo, at: 2009/08/22 15:33
    The BambooZoo is 260 pages of the information you are looking for: feeders, health, feature reptiles, cohabitation, bio active soils, caresheets (in depth), health articles and links, DIY's and cage art. Check us out, and participate too! www.bamboozoo.weebly.com

Sick Gecko

Are you putting the mineral oil in the water or on its nose? It was un-clear to me so thought I'd ask. It needs to go on his nose. I would also add a drop or two of olive oil once a day, its not as harsh, seems to coat the impaction from what I have heard, whereas the mineral oil will help expel it... Just a thought.

Sick Gecko

We've been putting mineral oil on his nose and licks it off. As of this morning, still no poop :dry: Thanks for the feedback! I didn't think I would be so bummed out by this little guy! But him being all sick is stressing me out! Is extra virgin olive oil okay?

Sick Gecko

yes extra virgin olive oil is ok I know what you mean. It sure is sad when they are not doing well. It sometimes takes awhile for it to work. Poor little guy, hope he feels better soon. Hang in there, sounds like you are doing a good job trying to get him better.

Sick Gecko

When mine got impacted I gave him drops of olive oil on his nose about once an hour and kept up the bathing and stomache message untill he pooped...he ended up pooping on me...but hey! lol

anyways....I re filled his mini bath with warm water every 10 minutes for about 2 hours, periodically giving him olive oil. After about 15 baths I sat and rubbed his stomache for a good 40 minutes....be watchful of flying poo....after they get impacted and do end up relieving themselves it tends to be a bit messy....

good luck and keep up the good work. An impaction isnt easy to work out, but with patience you can do it.

"My little lizards, heart beats at my feet" --anonymous--

Sick Gecko

Still going at it, but still no poopy. I feel so bad, he just looks like he's hating life right now {Feel-bad-0002006A} And yes, I have olive oil I will give him now, thank you so much! I was just unsure if I was doing EVERYTHING I could to help him out.

Sick Gecko

Hmm. I just caught him drinking water :woohoo: So that has to be a good sign. And I think I saw a little poo in his tank. Oddly it was smeared on the side of the tank, that must have been what geckodogtuker meant. Still really bloated and lethargic though. I think he ate a cricket that was too big:dry:

+ Reply to Thread