+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Leopard Gecko's - Special Lighting

Leopard Gecko's - Special Lighting

Do Leopard Gecko's require any type of special lighting?

Or any lighting apart from from daylight??

Leos don't NEED any UV lighting, but I have a uv/heat lamp I use for mine. They are nocturnal though and will do fine without UV...but it doesnt hurt. A heat/uv bulb will usually run from about 4.50 to 9.00....mercury bulbs are far more expensive but dont do much good for leos since they don't really need the full spectrum UV light.

reptiledirect.com has some really good deals on stuff and shipping is really cheap too...thats where I get most of my stuff from online.

At night though you will want to use a night bulb for a little heat...I prefer red infared because the animals can't see that kind of light but it gives just enough heat and also enough visual so I can see them.

Other than that the lighting aspect is pretty easy!

Heres a little bit of a chart to give you an idea of wattage to aquarium ratio. (this is assuming a second heat source of an under tank heater.)

10 gallon=40-50 watt day/15-20 watt night.

20 gallon=50-75 watt day/20-40 watt night.

20 gallon long=50-100 watt day(depends on temps in home)
    40-50 watt night.

30 gallon=75-100 watt day/50 watt night.

40/45 gallon=100 watt day/50-75 watt night.

and if you're using larger than a 45 gallon tank let me know, but standard size for leopard geckos is usually about a 20 gallon or 20 gallon long.
    "My little lizards, heart beats at my feet" --anonymous--

Im not sure what gallon the tank is.. but its 40x30x35

Banned

I'm going to stay out of this one...looks like your in good hands :laugh:

Again you will find everyone does things a little differently here as well...as long as you end with the same result...your Leo should be fine.

Substrate will also differ from one place to another, just remember the natural kind can harm the Gecko.

Take it away Gecks

I've heard just general play sand is ok for substrate.. lol i'm debating feeding her crickets now.. seems easier!

I will make up my mind soon!!! lol

Banned

I don't really recommend play sand, it can cause impaction, and sometimes death. The most recommended for Leo's is Reptile carpet, or paper towel. You will find keepers using sand or wood chips, but 9 times out of 10 they end up in the vet office with problems.

Might want to think about that...before you decide.

Okay...letting Gecks have it back now...B)<br><br>Post edited by: Tonkatruck, at: 2009/11/17 21:47

Thanks for ur help guys.. If I use paper towel, how often do you suggest changing it?

Banned

Paper towel can be changed maybe twice a week, I use the reptile carpet and only have to change it out every three weeks or so for cleaning. I have not used paper towel so you will have to judge on the changing once you get started. The reptile carpet is much easier to keep clean with shipping tape. It can last much longer between changes. I just use the tape for particles, and any dust left behind from calcium, what not...it's a great tool just like a cat lint brush. Just don't tape your Leo...:laugh: gently mover her/him for each side. If you are interested in the carpet, go to Gecks link and search reptile carpet (liner) for it's description.

I am so trying to let Gecks have it back...LOL! I have a list of supplies, let me know if you would like to see that. But then it might take away from Gecks help, so wait and see where she wants to take you first. It's not worth the confusion at this point.

Banned

I forgot to say...Your Welcome, it's really no problem, we all care about the little Leo's out there.<br><br>Post edited by: Tonkatruck, at: 2009/11/17 23:25

Lets see....are you talking inches? if so...thats a nice large enclosure! And I would recommend a 100 watt during the day and 50 watt at night....

If your talking centimeters...I have no clue because I am horrible with metric measurments....

As for substrate. I agree with Tonks...play sand causes impaction and should only be used with older adults if you do use it. I have used repti carpet, paper towels, and non adhesive shelf liner. All work well, all are easy to clean, but paper towels and shelf liner are cheaper to replace...repti carpet looks more natural.

Paper towel I clean once a week, but my leos are very clean and all three poop in the same place, so its easy to just pick up and flush without replacing the paper towels. Repti carpet and shelf liner I cleaned once a week, but you can push those to once every two weeks with just one gecko.

Is your cage a glass aquarium or a wooden one, or a plasic repti keeper? Just curious about it! =)
    "My little lizards, heart beats at my feet" --anonymous--

+ Reply to Thread