+ Reply to Thread

Thread: best pet for eating cockroaches?

best pet for eating cockroaches?

which is the best pet around the house, for eating cockroaches?

re:best pet for eating cockroaches?

fr0glet

A tube of Combat roach gel is the best thing for roaches. I used only a fraction of the tube three years ago and I still don't see roaches.

You can a small bed for it if you want to make a pet out of it.

Cats or dogs.

I hardly think you have to worry about them sprouting wings and flying around your... oh, you mean can they run away? Possibly, but it's unlikely they'll pose a risk to the native wildlife as the native wildlife will probably make a meal out of them

Reptiles can carry salmonella, but you're far more likely to catch salmonella from badly prepared or undercooked food.

They will poop, but they only produce little poops and unlike dogs, they don't poop several times a day

And if the OP lives in an area where the gecko might thrive in the wild?
    Introduced species are bad juju.

Without a doubt -- a pair of tokay geckos will keep any cockroach infestation to a minimum.

Dangers include: their basic husbandry needs won't be met, they'll eat wild bugs that have consumed pesticides or fertilizers, that any number of predators (including mammals, avians, reptiles, etc) may prey upon them, danger that they will become so stressed by not having their basic HEAT needs met that they may succomb to their internal parasite loads... and more, I'm sure.

I think a tokay could take off the fingertip of a small child. Or create a fear.

What if they transmitted a fatal parasite or disease or bacterial infection to other animals and decimate a native population?

That's statistically true, yes, but that would be under the assumption you don't have salmonella-carrying animals running loose in your house and possibly crapping in your cupboards. I remind you that salmonella oocysts can become airborne if fecal matter dries and is ground to dust.

Little compared to your iguana. Big compared to some other standards. I find tokay turds about twice the size of leopard gecko turds. Their turds put off a smell, too, which is kind of sweet.

Yeah, but then you'd have to put up with cries of "Tokay! Tokay!" throughout the night during the breeding season, which is, incidentally, most of the year

+ Reply to Thread