+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: savannah monitor training

savannah monitor training

ok here is my problem
    i bought my savannah monitor just after thanks giving and hes been wild ...i left him alone in his cage for like 3 weeks to get use to the surroundings .. i try to show him my hand is there for him leaving my hand in there for like 10 min or so and showing him iam not there to hurt him and i feed him my mice with my hand and he eats it but ...when it comes to me holding him to enjoy him NOPE he goes crazy trying to squirm out and some times darting at me lol ..idk what else to do i leave him alone and when i walk into my room he goes right in his rock ..how can i tame him to be a nice savannah and by the way hes about 12 inches ..should i take away his hide out and let him be more open to me and show him iam there for him or what

Hi,

Let me tell you this right off the bat do not take out his hide. That will stress out your sav and make him aggressive. He's just not use to the interaction again, what you need to do is just work in his cage and ignore him. He will eventually come out to investigate you, if your afraid he will bite you wear protective gloves(like gardening gloves)He is still very young so give him time. Also try this, take a book,some headphones, or a puzzle lol just something to pass the time but also doesnt cause a loud noise...make sure its something you can do for a couple hours...also try taking him to a bathroom or something make sure ALL cracks are sealed with towels or pants or anything...you will be surprised what they can squeeze through lol...and let him walk around and get his "jitters" out dont pet him, dont pick him up, just let him wonder block off anywhere you dont want him to go, and sit down in the room with him he will eventually come and investigate you...i did this with my tegu and we took a 2 hour nap together on the bathroom floor lol she laid right on my arm with her head on my chest...my monitor now likes to watch tv with me after this stuff.

Also try sleeping in a shirt for 3 days straight and then put it in his hide nowhere else but his hide...after around a week take it out wash it, in thelast 3 days of that week get another shirt started and replace that dirty one to prevent mold from growing =P

Hope this helps, if he isnt tamer, i would try the bath technique which you can find on youtube on a guy named Faitiana youtube channel.

thats a great idea thanx alot so iama do that i didnt think of the scent idea thank u so much u help me out alot ..and is a fogger good for his cage cause i bought one and been using it to soften up the dirt hes in cause he likes to dig sometimes

One thing I started doing with my fiesty female Tatya is the savy monitor burrito...I know...sounds funny...

I use a small fleece blanket with tatya but a larger hand towel will work just as well.

In its cage place the blanket or towel directly over the top of them, pick them up with the towel still completely covering them. Make sure you have a good hold, and if your afraid of getting bitten use gloves too. Wrap the blanket around its body like a burrito, a piece of the towel still covering the face. Sit on the couch or edge of your bed, and once he's sitting still and is relaxed remove the part covering the face and softly pet the top of his head, right between the eyes. This is very relaxing for all savys. The top of their head is like scratching a dog behind the ears. hehe...

I do this for about 10 minutes 3 or 4 times a day. She is still not "tame", but much more relaxed about being handled...and I don't do the burrito now as much as before.

I also use bath time...I fill the tub just deep enough so she cant quite touch, and I keep my hand in the water the whole time...then my hand becomes the safety spot...it really works well.
    "My little lizards, heart beats at my feet" --anonymous--

thank you i like the sound of the burrioto lol guys ..now what bout my fogger is it ok to use it for the dirt to soften it up or what ?

hmmm...I'm not sure...mine tend to like it a little drier...i just keep a very large water dish with aquarium heater in the cage...this keeps humidity up and gives them a nice warm spot to swim. I think it depends on your monitor...mine like dry, yours might like moist. I suppose you can try it...but not 24 hours a day...maybe like 12 hours, the same amount of time ur uv bulb is on.
    "My little lizards, heart beats at my feet" --anonymous--

yes i put mine on for like at least 3 hours before i go to bed he dosent seem to mind ..i played with him today like for 2 hrs well ( not played) but let him roam around me and get use to me he was a little calmer but still a little figite ill keep u guys up dated with rico lol thats his name and it came from judge dred lol

actually you dont need the ground moist at all what you need is to keep the underlayers moist...savs in the wild dig to get near humidity and to cool down. Are you using topsoil as a substrate?

i dont kno much about the soil but its echo earth soil i bought it from the reptile convention and what is top soil ?

I've tried countless different techniques much like the ones you guys have. My sav still doesn't really 'enjoy' being picked up/ handled.

He has given me zero problems as far as tail whipping or biting though, he if not wanted to be picked up will kinda scratch me with his claws and rarely, but sometimes, he will try to jump from my hands (he is just over 2 ft long now).

He doesn't seem to mind being around me at all, and I personally use a fogger for about 4-5 hours of the day while I'm here. He seems to like it, he doesn't swim in his pool often but when the fogger is on he likes to chill right beside the pool and 'soak it in' if you will.

+ Reply to Thread