+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Water Dragon vs Green Basilisk

Water Dragon vs Green Basilisk

I have decided to get another lizard and cannot decide between a Chinese water Dragon and a Green Basilisk. I had a Basilisk years ago and it was awesome but very aggressive and only ate live items, never touched any veggies or fruit. I have never had a Water Dragon myself but have a good grasp of their needs. I feel that I can easily handle the care for either species and still have to build an enclosure so I have time to weigh the options. I would love to hear from some keepers of these lizards. Any freindly Basilisks? Seems Water Dragons can be pretty friendly? Do any of them eat veggies?

Water Dragon vs Green Basilisk

My experience with the green basils is similar, I found the male very aggressive as well. The female was somewhat better. But water dragons rarely take veggies in captivity so your food bill would actually be larger. I do a composting worm bin to help supplement their diets, mealworms as well. Both are awesome species though I agree. I do prefer water dragons and feel they make much better captives.

Pat
    The BambooZoo is 260 pages of the information you are looking for: feeders, health, feature reptiles, cohabitation, bio active soils, caresheets (in depth), health articles and links, DIY's and cage art. Check us out, and participate too! www.bamboozoo.weebly.com

Kinda late on this Bread2, but my brother has had a green basilisk, And ive got a water dragon.(both are males)
    I would say its sort of a split decision, His basilisk wasnt aggressive but was far from tame.. after you would catch him (if you could.haha) you could hold and pet him. But catching him was super hard as they are very fast and agile creatures as you know.
    And as for my WD, he is awsome! myne in particular doesnt have a very high intelligence.(dont know if this is with all of them tho)
    He LOVES to be held...will run and jump onto your arm when you put it in his enclosure..his nails usually scratch us tho..
    I have got him to eat collard greens before and he would rather eat out of your hand than hunt for crickets..
    But the basilisk was more active than my water dragon and very very intertaining to watch...
    This is just my expierences tho.
    I have a veiled chameleon (Cujo), 2 bearded dragons (Mr.Wobbz & Hoppy), 4 Grey tree frogs (Sticky, Stuck & Stickin and GroundHog)
    The chinese water dragon belongs to my girlfriend.

In my past experience I've found waterdragons to be more personable. They can be a little flighty at times but they seem to be less so than basilisks and from what i've seen tolerate handeling more. While both are display animals for the most part i definitely see the basilisk as a display animal more just beacuse of their temperments.

People can say what they want,, My water dragon LOVES to be held and carried around...He will go crazy trying to get on your hand when its in his cage..
    Ive read that Water dragons and bearded dragons Dont like their owners but they just TOLERATE them.. In my opininon this is wrong.. Im convinced that my lizards do like me..
    Especially my WD.
    But the basilisk is definetly a just to look at animal...Goes crazy trying to get AWAY from your hand..haha
    I have a veiled chameleon (Cujo), 2 bearded dragons (Mr.Wobbz & Hoppy), 4 Grey tree frogs (Sticky, Stuck & Stickin and GroundHog)
    The chinese water dragon belongs to my girlfriend.

+ Reply to Thread