+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help determining the sex of two juvenile leopard geckos

Need help determining the sex of two juvenile leopard geckos

I've attached a photo with both leopard geckos. The leopard gecko on the left is V, and I thought it was a she for quite some time, but I'm starting to think it's a he. He/She is 10 months old, and got him/her as a baby back in July 2009. The leopard gecko on the right is Meat-Hook, and I've had him/her since December 2009, but he/she was already pretty big when I him/her, and thought that he/she might already be 5-6 months old when purchased. I was told online, that during the first year, and possibly 2nd year of a juvenile's puberty, even female leopard geckos have a bulge near their vent, as their tails are still very small and not fat at all. Can someone please respond to this as well to confirm?

V just recently shed last night, so not sure if her/his pores normally look like that after shedding usually.

Please help, I thought V was female, but now might be male, and I thought Meat-Hook was male...but is now looking to be female. Anyone that can help with expert advice is greatly appreciated!

Also, if both happen to be males though, it is completely impossible to house both geckos in the same tank, correct?

-Chris

Leopard Geckos.jpg

(Full size image ---> http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/112/leopardgeckos.png & http://img28.imageshack.us/i/leopardgeckos.png/ just in case the first link doesn't work)
    Last edited by c_franscioni; 05-13-2010 at 07:37 AM.

The one on the left is defiantly a boy. On the second one because of the angle its hard for me to see. My first thought was boy but it would help a ton if you could post a second picture of the one on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by corruptedmuffin View Post
    The one on the left is defiantly a boy. On the second one because of the angle its hard for me to see. My first thought was boy but it would help a ton if you could post a second picture of the one on the right.
    ................. +1
    "Behavior is WHAT AN ANIMAL DOES, the body is what it does it with. An animal in a shoe or sweaterbox, has no behavior, there is no need for behavior. You the keeper has taken that away."
    Frank Retes

Now I lay you down to sleep,
    Because my choke is sunk so deep.
    Feel the rush your world goes black,
    All because I took your back

(unknown author)

WWW.GRACIENY.COM

I agree...one on the left is definatly a boy....

my first impression of the one on the right is actually girl but I think its because the flash makes it all look one dimension....can't see much detail....

IF they are both male...a large enough space can be okay, but it really differs gecko to gecko....and it is not usually condoned to keep two males together....simply because you will most likely not be around to seperate them if they fight...and if they fight they WILL hurt eachother...so I wouldnt recommend it.
    "My little lizards, heart beats at my feet" --anonymous--

Banned
    Looks like two males to me. The one on the right has clearly visible pores in the full size picture.

Here's some more photos of the leopard gecko on the right.

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/5...hookangles.png

Banned
    Male, no doubt about it.

The pores are visible, but, they aren't dark. From a lot of pages I'm seeing online, females still show pores, but they're faint. I have a super high-quality camera, so seeing that detail isn't a problem. From all the male leopard gecko photos, their pores are very visible and quite dark. I've uploaded another photo containing 4 photos, maybe they'll help out.

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/5...hookangles.png

Banned
    Females can have faintly visible pores, but only males produce the dark wax that you can see in those pics. Hemipenal bulges are also visible.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony C View Post
    Females can have faintly visible pores, but only males produce the dark wax that you can see in those pics. Hemipenal bulges are also visible.
    So, another question I have is...should I sell one of them to the pet store or to a friend? Both male geckos have been living together peacefully since December, and they haven't fought at all. They're both sexually mature (as they're both over 10 months old), and neither seem to want to be the dominant one. Should I wait a few months to see if they're still compatible, or should I get rid of one now?

And now that I know they're both male...this photo shows that they're totally gay for eachother. ---> http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/269/lizardkisses.jpg (was taken about a week or so ago)

+ Reply to Thread