+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Naturalistic snake enclosures

Banned

Naturalistic snake enclosures

Anyone out there using naturalistic enclosures for their snakes, especially larger ones like Boa constrictors? I have plenty of experience with naturalistic enclosures for my frogs, but I have to admit that my snakes are still in the dark ages of aspen shavings and a water dish. I hate looking at such minimalistic cages, but I'm not sure where to begin on improving them. Where do you find plants that they won't crush, and how do you heat them through a thick layer of substrate? Is there any truth to the tales of moisture in the substrate causing skin infections, or is that just an urban legend based on bad husbandry? Slayer, Ivory, I know you guys can probably steer me in the right direction...

Check out The Art of Keeping Snakes by Philippe de Vosjoli. its all about keeping snakes in naturalistic setups with fully bioactive soils.
    "Behavior is WHAT AN ANIMAL DOES, the body is what it does it with. An animal in a shoe or sweaterbox, has no behavior, there is no need for behavior. You the keeper has taken that away."
    Frank Retes

Now I lay you down to sleep,
    Because my choke is sunk so deep.
    Feel the rush your world goes black,
    All because I took your back

(unknown author)

WWW.GRACIENY.COM

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
    Check out The Art of Keeping Snakes by Philippe de Vosjoli. its all about keeping snakes in naturalistic setups with fully bioactive soils.
    Just ordered it from amazon.

and I just saved money on my car insurance!

Banned
    So amazon says it won't be delivered until june 8th, any good reading to do on the web before then?

wow june 8th
    search the reptile magazine archives I recall reading a live planted tank with BRB in it

I have a younger Red Tail boa, My tank is pretty minimal at the molment, but he is young and liek to climb still, so water bowl, shavings, hide, is very good for easy care, but I plan on lining the walls with greenery and hacing a few bigger logs and braches around. Honestly I know i can get thies stumps and branches from my local store few of them and a little bit of greenery goes a LONG way for the tank and still keeps cleaning to minimal pain :P

Banned
    The book came a few days ago, and I have to say I was disappointed. Most of it was very general and familiar info on basic vivarium design. It seems to have been written based on the assumption that the snake would be housed in a standard glass aquarium and completely dodges the issue of heating a proper snake cage. I'm guessing that radiant heat panels are the only viable option, I can't see flexwatt heating effectively through a thick layer of substrate and I can't think of a way to snake proof heat lights without creating a fire hazard.

is your tank custom build ? I custom built mine. Melamine wood and silicone to seal it all in. Works great with humid animals. Heats pads either prevent the cold wet ground from being cold (cocofiber). Or if you use cocohusk of someother more loosly packed substrate it does nothing... lol.. I have my waterbowl sitting on my heat pad. Keeps it a nice room temp and has the humidity up. Honestly with snakes.

for the big heat lamps. cut a square on the top of your tank, put a grate across it and place lamps on that. Its working fine for me i have a 150 and 100 watt ones sitting on my tank

Banned
    Right now they are in aquariums or exo terras, but will be moving up to large custom enclosures soon. I can't put a heat lamp on top because they will be stacked.

+ Reply to Thread