+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Leopard gecko breathing fast?

Leopard gecko breathing fast?

Hey guys. I got my first leopard gecko yesterday... I did everything they DON'T recommend. I got him from a retail pet store as a juvenile. I know I shouldn't have, but I couldn't find when the next expo in my area was, and there were no breeders that I knew of anyhow. So, I got a little leopard gecko. I don't have any idea of his morph. He is being kept in a 10 gallon tank for now, with a heat pad set to 90F on the warm side (a thermostat keeps that temp in place, and I have a thermometer on the floor of the tank to keep track of the temp) I feed him crickets and mealworms daily (since he is young). The insects are small, barely the space between his eyes, and I dust them with calcium at every feeding. (Sometimes with D3 calcium) I also have a calcium dish in his tank. (With only calcium)

So, I noticed that when I got him, he breathed very fast. It seems he only does it when he gets spooked by something passing by/lingering by the tank. I think it's just he just gets scared easily, and that is why he breathes fast, because he doesn't do it when he's sleeping. He doesn't have any mucous or anything around his mouth and nose - they are both clean and dry. Another thing I noticed is that his throat seems to be slightly swollen, but it just appears as if it's filled with air. He acts perfectly normally, eats a lot, the only thing that concerns me are his slightly swollen throat, and how he breaths very fast when people are near him.

Here are a couple pictures of his mouth and throat. The throat at least looks a little swollen to me...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Also, I was holding it (just to get a closer look at it's mouth and throat) and I noticed that it smelled. It smelled almost of urine, and I know that leopard geckos don't even pee. It was actually a pretty strong smell. I could smell it from a couple inches away. It's tank doesn't smell like this. What could it be? There's no poop in the tank or anything.
    Thanks in advance,
    Last edited by LeoGirl; 05-23-2010 at 09:29 PM.

well. its a baby. of corse its gonna breathe faster than an adult. and especially when trying to handle it because its scared because you like 5 times the size of it! cant help you with the smell. ive never had this problem.

oh and it looks like a normal morph or a mack snow. kinda hard to tell because its a baby.

Thanks. I'm just over-worrying. I'm not handling it anymore for a good few days, maybe even a week. The smell isn't really as bad as I made it out to be. It's just a faint smell of stale urine, and it gets stronger when you are closer to it. I am really worried.

I mean, its good to leave it alone for a few days anyways to get used to its enclosure. And the smell is probably just its natural smell. But goodluck with your leo.

Oh, and thanks for the morph suggestions. It look like it could end up being a mack snow, but then again, I am pretty bad with leo morphs.

oh... i almost forgot to ask. What pet store did you buy you gecko at?

Thanks again. I read today on a website that if your leo smells, it could be a bad thing, and you should get it checked out. But they smell doesn't rest on anything (It doesn't linger or anything, it's just on him) and it's not super strong. In some instances, I can smell it from a couple inches away, but mostly I have to have my nose right up against him.

I got him from Petland. It was a bad choice. I really should have spent the extra 50 some dollars and gone to a more reliable source.

yes. its definitly its natural smell

+ Reply to Thread