Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Can my baby berded dragon eat mealworms?

  1. #1
    Member BarkingGecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    82

    Cool Can my baby berded dragon eat mealworms?

    I was just wondering if my little berdie could eat mealworms he loves vegtables and well just eats crickets hes not a big fan of them so i was wondering if he could eat mealworms. What size mealworms? He is 3 and a half months old and is 21cm (head to tail) last time i checked.

    Little guy is called Bert.
    Bert (baby inland bearded dragon) is also settleing in well to his new home and should go a nice orange color.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Inny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    196
    Yes, he can, however mealworms should not be a staple or main protein/insect part of his diet.
    Because the outer shell of a mealworm, is made of chitin, the same materials as your fingernails.
    For a mealworm of any given size, the ratio of chitin to nutritious content is higher than for other insects.
    if fed too many mealworms only, your lizards diet may lack certain vitamins and nutrients that can be provided by varying the diet.
    Chitin is also largely undigestable, so too many mealworms at a sitting, or too often, can lead to impaction of the intestines, hind limb
    paralysis and even death.
    If you want to offer mealworms as a treat, feed only a few small ones, perhaps twice a week, and it is better to choose the ones that have just moulted (these are very pale/white) since the chitin has not hardened and the worm/s will be much more easily digested.
    Not too big, (20 or 30mm/2 or 3 cm is big enough) though an elongate insect will be chewed so lessens that concern.
    Woodies (roaches) are a great source of insect food, widely avail here, easy to obtain and very easy to breed.
    Almost all beardys love them. Like anything, always in moderation (not too much too often).
    Last edited by Inny; 05-25-2010 at 01:04 PM.

  3. #3
    Member BarkingGecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    82
    Ah ok i will try him on some mealworms as a treat. I would like to feed woodies but the step mother wont let me haha. I have never seen pale white ones for sale in a pet store i will look out for them next time.

  4. #4
    Member BarkingGecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    82
    I went out to by some and the pet store guy wouldent sell them to me beacuse he said there will eat my baby berdie from the inside out and he told me to try this new stuff its some frozen meat made for berdies. The guy at the pet store new a lot about reptiles and was very helpful. Bert is now a fan of crickets he chases them around now i think he was still settling in.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    351
    Your pet store guy is an idiot.

  6. #6
    Administrator zaroba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    3,411
    he was just trying to get you to spend more money by buying expensive frozen stuff instead of mealworms.
    Read the Forum Rules!



  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony C View Post
    Your pet store guy is an idiot.

    nothing more to add.

  8. #8
    Senior Member JAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    492
    And technically they cant refuse to sell you anything..petsmart tried to do this with me when i had freshwater fish,,it ****** me off so i went into a big explanation of why they couldnt refuse to sale me anything that they were displaying in their store that they had for sale to the general public, and i got my fish..haha
    Last edited by dee; 06-06-2010 at 02:43 PM. Reason: language
    I have a veiled chameleon (Cujo), 2 bearded dragons (Mr.Wobbz & Hoppy), 4 Grey tree frogs (Sticky, Stuck & Stickin and GroundHog)
    The chinese water dragon belongs to my girlfriend.

  9. #9
    Senior Member BambooZoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    near Sarnia, ONT
    Posts
    3,452
    Hey Ben, I just wanted to give you a little bit of a rundown on the MYTH that mealworms can eat their way out of a reptile. This is not true. People wake up to a reptile that has died overnight. They turn it over and see a hole made in the reptile. What has happened is that a lose mealworm has bored their way into the reptile. This does not happen unless the reptile is on its very last breath or has already died. in many of our environments there are no other food sources for them. Carrion is readily taken.

    All of my dry tanks have lose mealworms in the environments as cleaner crews. None have ever bored holes into the reptiles, nor have I ever seen any bites. I dump veggies dried up from the day before, right onto the surface dirt or empty bran from the feeding bowls that held worms. I would not leave a reptile that was very ill in the environment though.

    Pat
    The BambooZoo is 260 pages of the information you are looking for: feeders, health, feature reptiles, cohabitation, bio active soils, caresheets (in depth), health articles and links, DIY's and cage art. Check us out, and participate too! www.bamboozoo.weebly.com

  10. #10
    Senior Member Missy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Posts
    127
    Solution, crush the head before feeding it to your beardie if your paranoid now ... i do this with my super worms...just to be safe... but seriously ... this petsotre guy is an idiot, we should all go work for them and show them up..*shakes head*

Closed Thread

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts