+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can leopard gecko's eat pinky mice or fish?

Can leopard gecko's eat pinky mice or fish?

I have watched video's on youtube of them eating pinkies but I was wondering if it was safe? Also if like baby gold fish were ok or anything else? I am really trying to diversify his eating habits with crickets, mealworms, blatta lateralis roaches and I wanted to try something else too just as a snack ya know? He is only 9 months old so i know that pinky mice are out now but what about in the future? And what about baby fish now?

Thanks,
    Jtwilson3

Pinkies are generally used for putting extra weight on a leo. Usually females in the breeding season. As Inny explained it to me, they're butterballs full of fat. I tried to feed my leo that and she wanted nothing to do with it. I don't know about fish though.

Banned
    Can they? Sure. Should they? No. Leopard geckos are naturally insectivorious, therefore their nutritional needs can be met via a properly supplemented diet of invertebrates. Pinkies are full of milk, milk contains lactose which requires the enzyme lactase to process, and leopard geckos do not produce lactase. Does it sound like a good idea to feed them something they can't naturally process?

well you don't have to be a jerk. I was just wondering. I have him on an insect diet i was just curious

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jtwilson3 View Post
    well you don't have to be a jerk. I was just wondering. I have him on an insect diet i was just curious
    How is answering your question "being a jerk"? Next time I'll tell you to google it.

Quote Originally Posted by jtwilson3 View Post

Easy JT.. I think the answer that Tony gave was a good responce [could have left off the last statement of that first post], but that being said, I don't think he was attacking you in anyway... Now the last post could have been stated differently by him or not at all, but anyway lets get back on track!!!

Thanks guy's!

I agree with Tony. Mice are basically completely unnecessary for leos(and not particularly healthy). For those who need to put weight on a gecko, there are plenty of better insect options. Dubia roaches, super worms, and wax worms are all high in fat and good for weight gain while staying inside of the insect diet. If you want to vary your gecko's diet more, there are plenty of options out there. Other roach species(dubia, discoids, hissers, orange heads), silk worms, pheonix worms, wax worms(occasional), horn worms, etc are all perfectly acceptable options for a varied leo diet when paired with a good staple like roaches, crickets, meal or super worms.
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world." -M. Ghandi

Eublepharis macularius
    Hemitheconyx caudicintus
    Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    Corallus hortulanus
    Ghyra marginata
    Gekko gecko
    Cyrtodactylus intermedius
    Cytrodactylus irianjayaensis

Sorry tony I meant there to be an "lol" after that. Seriously I was trying to just play on that one. Sorry about that man. Seriously but i really appreciate the response.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony C View Post
    Can they? Sure. Should they? No. Does it sound like a good idea to feed them something they can't naturally process?

Those 2 lines he did sound kinda rude.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaBongKing View Post
    Those 2 lines he did sound kinda rude.
    We know, we have already disscused this... Again..... BongKing, we need to move on!!! Please stay on topic!!
    Last edited by dee; 06-27-2010 at 02:20 AM. Reason: additional add

+ Reply to Thread