+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: New ball python looking for tips on tank(pics inside!)

New ball python looking for tips on tank(pics inside!)

Like I stated in the title i just bought a new ball python. I have never owned one of these snakes before so I was hoping everyone could give me a few tips. Not only on the tank but some tips as to caring for the snake itself. I have Done a decent amount of research, but I like to here peoples opinions. And as I stated earlier I've never owned one of these snakes before so be gentle!
    Thank you

Last edited by Newrestle115; 08-18-2010 at 03:09 AM.

First of all congrats on your new ball python. The snake looks great and your setup does as well. The only tweaks I think you should make is try convering the whole back side of the enclosure with some type of paper or even some of that aquarium paper that actually adds a backdrop. The snake is totally exposed and covering at least the back side of the tank will provide some security. It's actually best to have all but the front covered. I would also cover about 80% of the screen top with aluminum foil or some other type of material. Aluminum foil is what I use for both of my ball python screen tops as it is the perfect insulation. I could display pics of my screen tops to give you an ideal of what I am talking about. All in all your setup looks good to go.
    1 Normal Ball Python
    1 Lemon Pastel Ball Python

Okay thanks a Lot and I understand what you mean I will check out some aquarium back drops wen I go to the store today.

hey your tanks looking pretty good same with the snake !!
    What are your temps and humidity levels ?
    Also just as ss said, I would try and cover the three walls make the snake feel more secure.
    I use cypress mulch for all my snakes, it works amazing at keeping humidity without having to have anything over the top of the tank (for me atleast) and it looks pretty good to.
    Tip ------> Freeze your bags of substrate no matter what it is for 2 days, Kills posible parasites or bugs such a mites.

That's the one mistake I realized is the substrate. It's coconut skin substate and it doesn't help keep the humidity levels where they should be at all, so I have to spray the tank repeditly. I do my best to keep the humidity between 50-60. And tempatures during the day I have the cool side of the tank 80-85 and the warm side 90 sometimes reaching around 93 because the bascing bulb I purchased is strong. At night i switch my basking bulb with the black uv bulb and put a bulb that just produces a small amount of heat were the black light was. That being said the cool side of the tank is between 75-80 and the warm side 80-85

Hahaha great pics.. snakes not bada either.. hahah just had to be the one...congrats on the BP

My set-up is pretty plain but I use coir with good results. The entire top of my tank is covered with foil tho. About once a week I moisten the coir or when I notice a shed. Biggest concerns are temp an humidity other than that its just routine maintainance. Change water/scoop turds/feed.
    Sav problems? Click http://www.reptileforums.net/forums/...earchid=266131
    1.0.0 Savannah Monitor,
    Roaches (b. Craniifer), Superworms

Check out some of the threads about setup pics in the photos section of forum, I have a few in there myself, There is alot of different setups, As long as there are multiple places for your BP to go and other factors are there. (hide, Basking area, Cool side, Hot side, Humidity) and of course some room. Should be a nice setup for any BP.

Thats the quick and easy breakdown.
    " If you could see yourself in the eyes of a reptile, Then what would the reptile see in your eyes? " Rich Pirog

" when this baby hits 88 miles an hour, your gonna see some serious $#!T " Doc

1.0.0 Ball python
    0.1.0 Leo Gecko
    1.0.0 Amazon Parrot (wild caught rescue)

Looks great! Just be careful with the substrate your using because my ball ingested some accidentally. Now im a BIG fan of Zilla repti carpet liner, nice and safe! Happy Herpin teehee-

BoArDwAxStYlE thats my gf shes 15 -__-

Jk

+ Reply to Thread