+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Green Iguana has lump on left side near the stomach

Green Iguana has lump on left side near the stomach

Hello, My iguana has a lump that's semi hard on the left side of his stomach. Not sure what it is,
    but when i touch it, He doesn't show any pain or signs of discomfort. i have pictures,
    Any help would be greatly appreciated! thank you!

Dee would be the person to answer that question. Although, you are going to have to provide information about his setup (ie temps, lights, food, humidity, etc).

temp is at 80 F, lights are UVA 100 watt UVB 5.0, red light for sleeping to keep him warm, humidity 50, food is collard greens, brushel sprout, sometimes a little grape.
    i also use vita spray on him. and give him a bath every Saturday. he likes to sit under plants and hide

My first question to you would be when was the last time he pooped good?
    What size is the food you are feeding? I mean how do you offer it to him. Is it chopped small or in chuncks?

What is your cage size?

Basking temps should be 92-98, more closer to the 98 for the age!
    UVA is good, but the UVB needs to be upgraded to a 10.0 and I would get rid of the red light for night!
    They do not absorbe moisture thru their body so spraying Vita spray on him is doing absolutely nothing. May want to offer him a daily bath.
    What Plants is it that you have in there?
    And what is the substrate you have him on?

Welcome to the forum!
    Iguana 0:2:0
    Russian Tortoise 1:1:0
    Tree Frog 0:1:0
    Chinese Water Dragon 0:1:0

www.theroachbarn.weebly.com

2 days ago he pooped good but ive noticed he poops in the bath tub when he is in warm water or on some one haha, the cage is 35 gallon but im building him a cage soon,
    the food is chopped up and sometimes little chunks. And ok i will up grade the UVB, And what does the red light do to them? nothing? And the plants are fake and the substrate is chopped bark.
    thank you!

He should be going everyday.
    So this lump that you are seeing is often seen in these small/young guy's when they don't potty on an everyday basis or the chunks of food they intake is of a good size. I can see the same thing in my adults on occasion, so at this point I would not worry about it. but on the other hand as you have him on bark [remove immediatly please] It could be the start of something that he injested, so do keep and eye on him and do get him off that stuff. Just watch it and if it does not dissapear in the next couple of day's then~ vet it is, to make sure it is not a peice of substrate that was injested. Might want to try to give him a bath and see if it doesn't help the appearance of it.

You are right, a 35 gallon is way too small for even now, so that needs to be changed out as soon as possible. That small of a cage makes it real hard for you to get your basking temps, ambient temps [middle of cage] and cool end for it to thermoregulate. That small of cage is usualy too cold or too hot.

As they have a parital eye on the top of thier head they can sense the red light at night and doesn't allow them to completely relax for a restful night. If you need something to keep the enclosure warm then you might want to look into a heat projector [www.reptileuv.com] or purchase a CHE [Ceramic Heating Element] that is usualy available at most pet stores.
    You need a thermometer [digital] to gage/read your temps, so things don't get too warm. A good sleeping temp for one this young is suggested at 75-70.
    Last edited by dee; 03-01-2011 at 09:12 PM. Reason: spelling

ok thank you very much, what size cage should i build him? And what substrate should i use? thanks

i gave him a bath and it seemed it went away, but ill still keep a eye on him.

Great news!!!!!!! That is what I was thinking was going on.

Andrew, he should be in no smaller than a 55 gallon for the first year of his life. Even in this size cage it is hard at times to get things the way they should be, but it can be done with constant monitoring. But if you are going to build then you might as well think on the ultimate size you are going to need for an adult. Those would be no smaller than 6[H]x4[W]x4[L], although I prefer the 7x5x5.
    A well kept iguana in captivity is no small feat nor inexpensive. They are a very high end reptile to keep. I am going to recommend that you purchase "The Ultimate Green Iguana" By James Hatfield. http://iguana.com/ He covers so many important things that needs to be known of the keeping of these guy's. It is forums like us that are here to help with personal experiences and added little inputs that we can to help. Like for instance I see in your photo [by the way a beautiful little guy ] that you have him out and about in a room. It is so important to make sure you have the room that he is roaming Iguana proofed as they tend to tonge flick to smell all that they approach, they can and do injest stuff that they shouldn't. This is one of the main reasons for no injestable substrate along with it being hygenicly unhealthy.
    As they will spend most of thier time in the upper part of any enclosure if offered the right cage accessories, most keepers use newspaper or papertowels for easy clean up when young and some will progress to the use of reptile carpet or tile when they have aged enough to not want to poop everywhere they go. I personally used newspaper when young, then progressed to tile in the adult cages when they became potty trained to their water pans.

thank you so much Dee, I will post pictures of progress being made to the cage im building and Ziggy my iguana. once again
    i really appreciate your input to help my iguana out giving me a better understanding and thought on how im gonna make my iguana happy.
    thanks,

+ Reply to Thread