+ Reply to Thread

Thread: is bamboo toxic to reptiles?

is bamboo toxic to reptiles?

is bamboo toxic to reptiles?cause i bought one bamboo plant and i just want to know
    Life is beautiful really it is full of beauty and illusions life is great with out it you'd be dead

if its that 'lucky bamboo' stuff that can be bought at walmart and many other stores often in glass jars with stones and water, then its not really bamboo, its Dracaena Sanderiana.

wether or not Dracaena's are reptile safe is somewhat up in the air.
    some caresheets say all are fine, others say certain types of Dracaena are bad.
    according to the ASPCA website, Dracaena Sanderiana is bad for dogs and cats though.
    more importantly it will depend on if the reptile will attempt to eat the plant.

if you did actually buy *real* bamboo, it wouldn't do well in a tank.
    bamboo is a grass. it can spread easily and even the slower growing species can grow a few feet or more a year. as for the fast ones, easily a foot or more a month.
    Last edited by zaroba; 05-06-2011 at 03:49 AM.
    Read the Forum Rules!

i think its lucky bamboo then because i got it in a pot with rocks in it and i saw the same kind of bamboo at petsmart except it was in water so would u say it would be safe if i used it then
    Last edited by butt head; 05-06-2011 at 04:19 AM.
    Life is beautiful really it is full of beauty and illusions life is great with out it you'd be dead

What about dead bamboo? I dont guess it is real bamboo, because it grows wild in virginia, but it looks exactly like bamboo.
    "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" - Ghandi

Well i have bamboo sticks lol i can't remember where i got them but i do have some and my Green Anole lizards seem to love them =)
    Lizard friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Poctalip View Post
    What about dead bamboo? I dont guess it is real bamboo, because it grows wild in virginia, but it looks exactly like bamboo.
    it most likely is real bamboo. there are (i think) 3 bamboos native to the US and many other species have been imported and become invasive.
    most bamboos can survive survive below freezing temps so would do fine in the US, there's many that can even survive temps below 0F

for example:
    Giant Timber Bamboo (Bambusa oldhamii) can survive down to 20F, its also the worlds fastest growing plant at up to 4ft per day
    Moso Bamboo (Phyllostachys Heterocycla Pubescens) can survive down to -4F, which is the tallest non-tropical bamboo at up to 75ft tall.

these are both widely used in japan and china for paper, clothes, food, furniture, and even building scaffolding.
    Last edited by zaroba; 05-19-2011 at 11:23 PM.
    Read the Forum Rules!

+ Reply to Thread