+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: my savannah monitor wont eat whats wrong.

Unhappy my savannah monitor wont eat whats wrong.

Hey everybody I'm new to this site and I have a Savannah monitor.I found this lizard roaming my back yard last summer of the new house we bought,the lady next door said the previous owners had left him behind.He was very skinny and shy,so I went and got crickets and superiors for him and decided to keep him.So I have had him for about 6months now and I love him very much but 2 days ago he stopped eating,he is still very active in the day and drinking lots and playing in his water dish but he will not eat turns away from him food.He would usually freak out for superworms but won't look at them now.Nothing has changed in him enclosure the temps are the same 115 basking spot temp,cool side 85,humidity is about 75%.About 12 inches of substrate sand/soil mix,2 hide spots made from excavator clay so I don't know what's going on.He is about 32 inches long I don't know how old he is because I found him.The only other thing I can think of is I feed him a mouse last time he ate but he eats frozen mice about twice a months and he stopped popping in his water dish and started popping everywhere but in his water dish.Any help would be great.Thanks

Basking temps are too low, cool side temps are too high. Humidity is good. 12" of substrate is too little. Excavator clay is dangerous for reptiles, as it's known to cause infections and loss of appendages. Rodents aren't recommended for savannah monitors at all.

What type and size enclosure is he in? Also, what are you using to measure temperatures and humidity?

Here are the adjustments you need to make. Basking spot needs a surface temperature of 130f. Cool side should be around 80f, but closer to 73-75f inside the borrows. You need 18-24" of substrate.

Again, your humidity is great, but it really means little when your monitor can't burrow. Savannah monitors retreat to burrows in order to hold moisture in their skin. It's so important.

Appropriate diet for savannah monitors include crickets, roaches (you'll probably want to start a colony), grasshoppers, locusts, snails, slugs, earth worms, crayfish, freshwater crab, and whole shrimp. All prey items need to be fresh and organic. For vertibrates, you can offer American green tree frogs, small snakes (younger corn snakes), small captive bred lizards, silversides, and fertilized quail egg with the chick inside.

I must point out, though, that until these adjustments are made, your monitor will continue going down hill.
    http://www.reptileforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9182&dateline=1312315  066
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko-lover
    You are like a computer or something.. if I type certain words it scans your hard drives and puts out an automated response.

Quote Originally Posted by BarelyBreathing View Post
    Basking temps are too low, cool side temps are too high. Humidity is good. 12" of substrate is too little. Excavator clay is dangerous for reptiles, as it's known to cause infections and loss of appendages. Rodents aren't recommended for savannah monitors at all.

What type and size enclosure is he in? Also, what are you using to measure temperatures and humidity?

Here are the adjustments you need to make. Basking spot needs a surface temperature of 130f. Cool side should be around 80f, but closer to 73-75f inside the borrows. You need 18-24" of substrate.

Again, your humidity is great, but it really means little when your monitor can't burrow. Savannah monitors retreat to burrows in order to hold moisture in their skin. It's so important.

Appropriate diet for savannah monitors include crickets, roaches (you'll probably want to start a colony), grasshoppers, locusts, snails, slugs, earth worms, crayfish, freshwater crab, and whole shrimp. All prey items need to be fresh and organic. For vertibrates, you can offer American green tree frogs, small snakes (younger corn snakes), small captive bred lizards, silversides, and fertilized quail egg with the chick inside.

I must point out, though, that until these adjustments are made, your monitor will continue going down hill.

^^^^^this^^^^^^^^

When he drinks, does any water come out of the nostrils? any bubbles?

Can you please post pictures, enclosure, inside and out, and the animal itself? (Please it will help a lot)

Do his toes look swollen at all?
    Wayne
    candor dat viribus alas
    savannahmonitor.co

Where do you live?! You found him wandering around in the yard outside?! Thats pretty crazy and great at the same time. Ah if only every new house came with a monitor...
    "in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king"

Unhappy

Hey guys sorry took so long to answer but i was working.I cant put pictures on yet because im not home i work the oilrigs and therefore i am gone lots but my girlfriend takes care of him,but i have asked 4 time off to go home and see whats up with my little buddy hopefully tomorrow.I got my girlfriend to increase the basking tempture to 125 and got the cool side down to 75 she said after about 2 hours she managed to get him to eat 3 super worms,so thats good news.she said his poop looks runny(clear liquid with a little white in there)could this be parasite or something he has picked up from food.He would not eat again today he just turned away from it but she said his poop looked a little better today more normal brown and not runny or i think thats normal he usually goes in his water so its hard to tell.She also said he dosent look to have lost any weight but i will try to get pictures on as soon as i can.I live in Alberta Canada and its cold here right now my house is always around 20 degrees celuis so its not cold and he spends most of his time in his enclosure only take him out for baths and exercise.Thanks guys for helping i am just really worried about him its my first lizard.

You found a sav in your backyard in ALBERTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Holy crap, he must not have been there for long, poor thing

Stop giving him baths. It's stressful and unnecessary if your enclosure is set up correctly.
    http://www.reptileforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9182&dateline=1312315  066
    You are like a computer or something.. if I type certain words it scans your hard drives and puts out an automated response.

Also, please answer the questions that I have already asked:

Ya, thats totally crazy that you found him outside in Alberta! I used to work the rigs myself for a few years. Was on service rigs up by Nordegg and drilling rigs by Nisku.

Anyway, back to your monitor. What is under the basking lamps? In other words is there a platform of some sort? If you get a large flat dark-coloured rock under it, or even some bricks, it will help raise those basking temps up to what you want without affecting any of the rest of your enclosure temps. Going a little higher than 130 isnt a big deal, so if its 135 or 140 even thats not a problem. Less than 130 means that his digestion isnt really working at full speed, which might be why he isnt eating like normal. (remember these are hardy animals so it can take 6 months or more before problems start showing a result like this)

Have you tried some of the other food sources Barelybreathing mentioned? Do you feed other kinds of invertebrates besides superworms? Do you supplement it with vitamins/calcium? Try getting some other kinds of bugs from the pet store. They should have crickets, and maybe even some crayfish in the fish tanks, which you can try feeding right away. The crickets and the superworms (as well as any other insects/inverts you feed) should be dusted with a calcium supplement twice a week.

Id say for now probably dont take him out of his enclosure either. It stresses them out, if they are sick especially, and isnt a necessary thing.

Hope it helps and hope you are able to get back to check on him tomorrow. Let us know how he does.
    "in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king"

Hey guys thanks for all the help.so i got a couple days off and i am now at home had too butter up my tool push to let me go anyway i just got home and tryed feeding him some mice i bought today and he gobbled them right up and seems to be back to himself trying to break out of his enclosure again.(His enclosure is 6'L x3'w x4'h fully inclosed light on the inside one vent on cold side planning on building a new one bigger any ideas.) I dont feed him many mice mostly crickets 5 week old and large supperworms sometimes scallops,snails and grasshoppers would love to feed roaches to him but they gross me out.I have a uva and uvb light in there along with a heat element and a nightlight(red) for at night.Thanks again everybody.Heat is measured with tempeture gun and humidity is a guage i bought at pet store.
    Last edited by cecil; 02-16-2012 at 03:06 AM.

+ Reply to Thread