+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fake Rock

Fake Rock

I have seen allot of people use fake rock for different parts of their reptile enclosures. I looked into it and saw people using grout and Styrofoam with sealer to make cool looking things. At the same time they were only making structures for smaller reptiles. So I was wondering what some of you have done to make fake rock type things before, and how would I go about beefing up the strength of it to hold a full sized Salvatore? I was thinking of wood and concrete then sealing it with nontoxic sealant. Then the issue of weight comes up as trying to make basking spots and water holes for 2 8 foot reptiles.
    I may be new but we were all new at one point, im willing to learn and i do my best for my budie's Ishtar and Astroth

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
    I have seen allot of people use fake rock for different parts of their reptile enclosures. I looked into it and saw people using grout and Styrofoam with sealer to make cool looking things. At the same time they were only making structures for smaller reptiles. So I was wondering what some of you have done to make fake rock type things before, and how would I go about beefing up the strength of it to hold a full sized Salvatore? I was thinking of wood and concrete then sealing it with nontoxic sealant. Then the issue of weight comes up as trying to make basking spots and water holes for 2 8 foot reptiles.

I would use resin, I use it for tons of stuff. If you want I can teach you cheep ways to make LOTS of molds to make different things from dishes to complete rocks. Stuff you can throw out of a window and never worry about it busting, also you can stand on stuff as well.

that would be awesome
    I may be new but we were all new at one point, im willing to learn and i do my best for my budie's Ishtar and Astroth

check out http://www.smooth-on.com/

they have info on everything from start to finish, they do have books up for sale if you want to read about it first. Smooth on has everything and sells in kits, you can use clear resin or put dies and textures in it when you mix it up so it is opaque and you can infuse sand and other things into the resin to give it texture. Be warned it does smell a lot like gas fumes so do it in a well ventilated area. Allow it to cure long enough so the fumes dissipate but once cured its as hard as a rock, easy clean with soap and water, durable as crap, and wont get: mites, smells, ect stuck in anything as it is basically smooth plastic. Under extreme heat I imagine it warps so I wouldnt recommend putting it directly under a super hot spot light or anything.

thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
    thank you!
    no prob. if you need any other advice i do resin a lot ive got a good chunk of learnin behind me. Best part about resin? Its super light weight!

what materials should i get for making a reptile product? theres allot of diferrent things on there.

Hmm as I’m looking more into this for the size of things I need to make I don’t think thus will go well. Resins look like they would do well for smaller projects, but for a water spot for 2 Salvatore the materials needed would cost way too much. At 60$ for 10 pounds the calculator put the object at about 100-200 pounds of mats = 600-1200$ for 1 cool looking water spot. Unless I’m mistaking something that is.

Just use real logs, tons of them, and make a network, use real items for such a large animal.

depends on the resin, ive made half and whole logs for about 50/70 bucks, you might look into fiberglass strips, its messy and can be frustrating but you can basically make anything and it be water proof.

+ Reply to Thread